It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board

• Alternative to Prednisone

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-26-2008, 11:15 AM   #1
    mcompton1973
    (male)

mcompton1973 HB User
    Alternative to Prednisone

Here is my deal.
    I am 34, and for the last 20 years or so, I have an odd condition. The symptom is this. I get cancker sores in the mouth. Not just the mouth, but through my whole digestive tract at times. There are a couple of ideas...but I have not been 100% diagnosed with anything in particular.

The problem with my cancker sores is that if I dont take anything for them, they last for weeks...and they multiply...right now I can count 17 canker sores in my mouth. I talk funny, cant eat much...etc.

First thought of course is some variation of herpes...but that has been ruled out completely.

When this happens, the only thing that seems to help them go away faster is Prednisone. If I take 60mg of Prednisone a day for 3-4 days, they will be almost totally gone.

Problem is twofold.
    1...obviously the problems associated with Prednisone
    2...I have to go to a Dr, and get a new prescription every time. Without insurance this gets to be costly.

I am wondering if anyone has any ideas about an alternative that would be better?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2008, 01:56 PM   #2
    Pat007
    (female)

Pat007 HB User
    Re: Alternative to Prednisone

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcompton1973 View Post
    Here is my deal.
    I am 34, and for the last 20 years or so, I have an odd condition. The symptom is this. I get cancker sores in the mouth. Not just the mouth, but through my whole digestive tract at times. There are a couple of ideas...but I have not been 100% diagnosed with anything in particular.

The problem with my cancker sores is that if I dont take anything for them, they last for weeks...and they multiply...right now I can count 17 canker sores in my mouth. I talk funny, cant eat much...etc.

First thought of course is some variation of herpes...but that has been ruled out completely.

When this happens, the only thing that seems to help them go away faster is Prednisone. If I take 60mg of Prednisone a day for 3-4 days, they will be almost totally gone.

Problem is twofold.
    1...obviously the problems associated with Prednisone
    2...I have to go to a Dr, and get a new prescription every time. Without insurance this gets to be costly.

I am wondering if anyone has any ideas about an alternative that would be better?

I'm not completely sure...but a friend of mine once said her doctor told her to take Malox 3-5 times a day at the earliest sign of a Canker/Cold sore outbreak. She said it worked for her. It apparently had something to do with the acid in her system.

Old 01-26-2008, 06:18 PM   #3
    AlexaIn2006
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User

You can help prevent it by taking or getting vitamins like B12 and chamomile can also help, search for natural cure for canker sores or you could seek a naturopathic doctor, which is more helpful than a conventional doctor. It sounds like a food allergy, a naturopathic doctor can find it.

Old 01-27-2008, 11:29 AM   #4
    kittywitty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kittywitty HB Userkittywitty HB User

I've heard of a supplement called Lysine that's supposed to help.

Old 01-30-2008, 11:02 AM   #5
    deeannek
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

deeannek HB User

I use mylanta when I have them. Mine always seem to pop up after a bout of acid reflux.

Old 02-14-2008, 10:53 AM   #6
    princesssugar
    (female)

princesssugar HB User

My Dad had problems with sores in his mouth and sometimes could hardly eat. It was not herpes. The doc put him on prednisone and everytime he quit taking it - it would flare up again so he has been on it for YEARS. The Doctor said it was a rare tropical type disease. Can't remember the name he used but I'll ask my Dad. It would not go away and only the steriod helped. Princess

Closed Thread