It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board

• Nasty Reaction to Lexapro...L-Tryptophan an Alternative ???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-31-2008, 02:21 PM   #1
    Sonic Max
    (male)

Sonic Max HB User
    Nasty Reaction to Lexapro...L-Tryptophan an Alternative ???

So...

I'm miserable for weeks...after developing a dependency to Oxycodone (caused by a really, really, incredibly painful bout w/ Sciatica...the Oxycodone was the only thing on earth that took the pain away...which enabled me to perform my physical therapy...which cured the Sciatica). Trouble was...I couldn’t get off the oxy by myself.

So...I go outside the network & find a doctor to prescribe Subutex...to the tune of $350 cash money...but the Subutex worked like a charm & got me off the oxy.

But...the Subutex was pretty neat, itself...& after I was totally off everything for a while, I began to get pretty depressed.

So my primary care puts me on Lexapro...tells me it's one of those new SSRI wonder drugs...I'll start to feel better in two weeks.

Trouble was...I had a nasty reaction to this stuff...the first day making me dizzy & sleepy; & after 6 days I was also feeling pretty weird in the groin...& so I said to myself I had had enough.

The first day off was OK, but the second morning I woke up w/ the shakes & chills. I call my primary & she brings me in & berates me for going cold turkey & puts me on a weaning plan...1 tab every other day. That happened to be my ON day...so I took 1 tab; & it DID in fact make me feel better...but just for that day.

Next day I wake up...yesterday...my OFF med day...& I'm shaking w/ the chills again...this time worse. I'm lying in bed wondering what to do...but I was feeling so bad & so weird...the only thing that made me feel better was to go to work...I swear to god. I don't know how in God's name I made it through the day...but I did...& actually managed to get some work accomplished. But as soon as work was over & I was in my vehicle...I was still trembling & had the chills.

So off I went to the local health food store...picked up some Buffered C for the withdraw...some liquid calcium/magnesium for the nervous system...& I already had some liquid B Complex at home (also for the nerves)...(& some L-Tryptophan...for depression). Last night & today (working on the house...just to stop thinking about the shakes & how weird I'm still feeling...I took prescribed doses of the B complex, C & calcium/magnesium...& it's making me feel better...& I think I'm finally on the road to sweating this stuff out (literally sweating...last nite I soaked the bad...wife is ******).

She was ****** anyway 'cause she's tired of a 55 year old digital/internet musician Doctor FeelGood type (the oxy killed ten full years of sobriety...killed it dead)...but I'm wondering 2 things:

1) The expert at the health food store suggested actually using the L-Tryptophan on my off Lexapro days...to ease the withdraw...says they combine the two in Europe w/ good results...for both depression & Lexapro withdraw.

Is this a good idea?

2) If I become depressed again...how good is this stuff as a natural anti-depressant?

Thanks (& sorry for the long epic)...

Sonic Max

Last edited by Sonic Max; 05-31-2008 at 02:23 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2008, 12:49 AM   #2
    kittywitty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kittywitty HB Userkittywitty HB User
    Re: Nasty Reaction to Lexapro...L-Tryptophan an Alternative ???

Your doctor is right, you should wean off of it. However, you shouldn't try the L-tryptophan until you're completely weaned off of the Lexapro, even wait a couple months afterward, just to be sure much of it has left your system. L-Tryptophan affects serotonin similarly (although not the same) as Lexapro and combining the two can cause something called 'serotonin syndrome' or too much serotonin, which can be fatal. The person at the health food store should know about this already. You can look it up online, there's lots of info about it. As far as it working for depression, I take 200mgs of 5-htp (L-5-hydroxytryptophan) for my depression and it works pretty well. I am kind of wondering lately if it's lowering my sex drive, though. It is known to do that in higher doses like mine.

Last edited by kittywitty; 06-01-2008 at 01:00 AM.

Old 06-03-2008, 12:47 PM   #3
    kellibear
    (female)

kellibear HB User

many of the aminos are great for depression, sam-E is one, DLPA, gaba, l-tyrosine, l-theanine, l-glutamine. i take an amino acid complex that is the puritans pride brand--it has all the aminos in it, but i take extra DLPA. you have to take a b-complex with the aminos to help them work more efficiently. i would start these after you are off the lexapro. i took lexapro for a while and it did absolutely nothing--so i quit wasting my money. hope this helps!

Old 06-22-2008, 08:45 AM   #4
    Sonic Max
    (male)

Sonic Max HB User

UPDATE:

Turns out it (my condition) was not Lexapro withdraw. The symptoms continued for a much too longer period of time than it would have taken for the drug to leave my system...so I went back to my primary care doc.

He diagnosed me w/ Major Anxiety.

I said: "doc...My brain itself is causing shortness of breath, heart palpitations, insomnia, fatuige, etc., etc.???"

He says" "yup!"

So I asked him what the cure was...now that we know...& he said that there's a chemical cure...Busbar...for guys like me (w/ addictive personalities)...& there's a natural cure...exercise, exercise & more exercise (accompanied by deep breathing).

Well, I chose the natural route. I've been exercising my *** off. But I don't seem to be getting much better. Tomorrow I go for blood work & a stress test...to see if the symptoms are related to anything else (heart, some other disease, et. al.)...but I've noticed that when the symptoms are at their worst, my face is a bluish, purple color...& I'm not sure a change in skin tone can be caused by anxiety (???)

I really don't know what to do at this point. I suppose it IS anxiety, because I never had the above symptoms until my back problem last winter & I began to abuse Oxycodone. I guess it went on so long that my brain re-trained itself...& it's gonna take time to attain normality.

But I feel so horribly bad from this stuff, I tell you...during the day it's difficult to even move; & at night my heart races & I hardly get any sleep. I'm really in bad shape; & it's starting to make me very angry & very short-tempered.

Hope this goes away soon.

Sonic Max

Old 06-22-2008, 11:43 PM   #5
    kittywitty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kittywitty HB Userkittywitty HB User

I wonder if you've ever tried yoga for your anxiety. It does wonders for both my anxiety and depression. You should try it.

Old 06-23-2008, 03:57 PM   #6
    kestralsalem
    (female)

kestralsalem HB User

I think it would be helpful for you to get a second opinion. I am suspicious of this doctor's diagnosis, because he did not refer you to a Cognitive-Behavioral Therapist as well. In short, he did not follow the recognized standard of care for this condition.

A Cognitive-Behavioral therapist will teach you relaxation techniques and will help you work on essentially reprogramming your brain so that you reduce the risk of getting deep into the cycle of anxiety.

You probably will need medication to help break the cycle of anxiety. Because anti-anxiety medications are addictive, you should plan on using them short-term--that is, for at most two weeks straight. Your psychiatrist should be carefully monitoring you.

Physical activity of any kind is helpful. Choose something that you like to do.

You might want to try meditation. There's as many ways to meditate as there are grains of sand on a beach. There's research going on suggesting that a specific form of meditation, called 'Mindfulness Meditation' might actually help someone like you. You might want to see if there's a Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction Program offered through a hospital or other health care organization in your area.

Although a lot of people recommend yoga, I don't because most yoga instructors are incompetent--poorly trained and promote questionable beliefs (such as the concept of 'energy healing' and 'chakras'), magical thinking and questionable medical practices (such as reiki, homeopathy, energy healing, etc.) Most yoga instructors are not trained by people who respect the work of scientists, including exercise physiologists. Most yoga instructors lead poses known to be dangerous, such as the shoulderstand, straight arm cobra, yoga plow, headstand, shoulderstand, etc. Most yoga instructors do not warn students that there are common poses that some people really should not try due to medical problems or nagging, minor injuries. Most yoga instructors do not carry professional liability insurance. In the US, the yoga teacher certifying organization DOES NOT require that potential yoga teachers pass a test to show that they know how to safely lead a beginners' yoga class. If I was looking for a yoga instructor, I would be looking for someone either formally trained in exercise physiology, a certified personal trainer or a certified group exercise instructor. (Those certifications are meaningful: the person actually has to pass a somewhat rigorous test.)

Closed Thread