HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Alternative Medicine (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/alternative-medicine/)
-   -   what to take for insomnia that is safe (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/alternative-medicine/612597-what-take-insomnia-safe.html)

pamela55 06-25-2008 08:24 AM

what to take for insomnia that is safe

what to take for insomnia that is safe

spirit47us 06-26-2008 07:45 AM

Re: what to take for insomnia that is safe

I have that problem as well, but sometimes I take Advil PM, doesn't seem to be habit forming - just take when I need it.

chic43 06-26-2008 08:38 AM

Vitamin Shop has two products that I have used for a few years now with no adverse side effects.

L-tryptophan (500 mg, plain/no added herbs or vitamins)
Snooze-in with Melatonin

I take one each every night about 30 min to an hour before bed. If you happen to wake up in the middle of the night, then take one each again. You will not have grogginess or sleepiness the next day.

These two supplements together give me 6 solid hours of sleep a night. My sleep issues are genetic and hormonal. I cannot take prescription meds as I have terrible adverse reactions to chemical meds.

tela44 07-18-2008 08:24 AM

I use valerian and it works for me. It's stinky but once swallowed you can't tell that it was. I take 1 or 2 and I'm out like a light without a hangover the next day. I only need it once or so a month.

rosequartz 07-18-2008 08:27 AM

you could pop a benadryl

drs 07-20-2008 04:50 AM

If it's tense muscles that are your problem, Calcium and Magnesium help. Get the citrate if you can find it. It's water soluble.

Also there is a homeopathic remedy Calms Forte, you have to find the level that works for you. Some people take one, some take up to 4. Just have to see what works.

dolysods 07-20-2008 12:05 PM

I like Deep Sleep by Herbs, etc. It has a few ingredients in it. You take one an hour before bed and then one before bed. No grogginess at all. I've tried melatonin... one wasn't enough, 2 made my groggy the next day. I also started taking 5htp within a few weeks of the deep sleep. It is supposed to beneficial for sleep

drs 07-20-2008 06:43 PM

Wow pamala55 sounds like you have a few options here, hope you find one that works for you. I swear there is nothing worse than sleeplessness . Diana

queenbee310 07-21-2008 02:38 PM

I use a lavender oil based pillow spray to help me sleep. It works ok, but i think it also depends on how bad your insomnia is

craftygirl3 12-12-2008 04:19 PM

passionflower, chamomile, linden flower, kava.

I am allergic to lavender, and Valerian.

they make teas, tinctures, and capsules.

health food stores are where I go.

check with a medical provider, as it could be part of something else.

colby88 01-22-2009 11:54 AM

Try the natural route and take the Amino Acid L-Tryptophan. Buy it at your health food store.

Start with 1-500 mg. capsule at bedtime or take up to 3-500 mg. capsules at bedtime if one isn't enough. Give it a few weeks to see if it helps and at what dose.

jenj770 01-23-2009 03:29 AM

2 Pantothenic Acid tabs before bed.