It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board

Dementia and zyprexa

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-03-2015, 07:52 PM   #1
Baseball2000
(female)

Baseball2000 HB User
Dementia and zyprexa

mom started on 10 mg of zyprexa twice a day for dementia she was very aggressive and delusional. Wondering if anyone has experience with this medicine thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2015, 12:35 AM   #2
Gabriel
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User
Re: Dementia and zyprexa

Obviously this medication is for the agitation and aggression and not the dementia. Zyprexa is actually an atypical antipsychotic medication, used to treat schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. I carries carries a black box warning which states that there is an increased risk of death or stroke. Using this medication for the elderly with dementia is actually an off-label use and has not been recommended by the manufacturer since 2004. I chose not to use these types of medications with my parents. There are other options.

Be sure to inform your pharmacist that your Mom has Dementia and ask for an alternative. Mom used Trazadone effectively and it does not carry the black box warning.

The problem is that there has been very little testing on medications to control dementia behavior. Is your Mom at home or in a facility?

Love, deb

Reply Reply

Tags
dementia