It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board

does alzhiemer's run in families?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-31-2016, 11:37 PM   #1
brit159
(male)

brit159 HB User
does alzhiemer's run in families?

Hi

I wonder if anyone can tell me, does alzheimer's run in families? My mum has it, albeit not very far progressed, and it killed her brother about 10 years ago. My mum is 84 and I am 56.

My dad, also 84, is still in possession of his faculties and there is no AD history in his family.

Any info woud be much appreciated thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2016, 10:25 AM   #2
golfhat
Veteran
(female)

golfhat HB Usergolfhat HB Usergolfhat HB User
Re: does alzhiemer's run in families?

I am not sure if it really is inherited. IOW, you might have a tendency for it, but that doesn't mean it will happen. My daughter has RA and I don't. but my grandmother did. so go figure that one out. It skipped me.

My mom had atypical dementia. She never lost her hearing or her vision or her abilities to recognize us. so they said it couldn't be
TRUE alz.
However, she couldn't live alone, had short term memory loss, did goofy things that made it impossible to leave her by herself all night. An assisted living facility worked for her. it was not a nursing home tho.

what she had was caused by small strokes, they could see that on an mri. you can inherit those types of tendencies. As the brain ages, it can become senile without it being dementia.

stay active mentally and yu will go a long time before anything happens if it ever does.
the fact is, most people at 80 or more can't really function on their own even without dementia. if they can't be trusted to drive...that is a problem right there.

Last edited by golfhat; 06-28-2016 at 10:26 AM.

Old 09-14-2017, 05:22 PM   #3
HappyHeart3
(male)

HappyHeart3 HB User
Re: does alzhiemer's run in families?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brit159 View Post
Hi

I wonder if anyone can tell me, does alzheimer's run in families? My mum has it, albeit not very far progressed, and it killed her brother about 10 years ago. My mum is 84 and I am 56.

My dad, also 84, is still in possession of his faculties and there is no AD history in his family.

Any info woud be much appreciated thanks.
Unfortunately alzheimers is hereditary. If you have a parent or sibling with it you're much more likely to get it. That's not to say that every one who's parents have it will get it but your odds of getting it will go up exponentially.

Reply Reply