It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board

Need help and Advice please!

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-14-2017, 10:07 AM   #1
down2earth2014
(female)

down2earth2014 HB User
Need help and Advice please!

Hello Everyone,

This is my very first post. My mother recently diagnosed with AZ early stage. She is keep falling these days. But she have another health issues like COPD, type 2 diabetic, Sciatica nerve pinch and pain in her hip and knees because of Arthritis. According to her Insurance case manager she is ready for Hospice care, She told me that i will get extra help from them to manage her pain and all. I agreed with her nothing i know about Hospice i told her to set up arrangement for her. Last Monday Hospice nurse stop by and sign all those paper work with me. in my understanding they are going to help my mom's pain and her Alzheimer. right now she is ok not bad. Her family doctor call me left a massage on my answering Machine say that my mother does not need hospice care she is in her early stage. I told Hospice nurse about every thing what my mother's doctor think. I am lost here. Now i am thinking did i make an wrong decision for her. Right now my mother is living with me and trust me i do not want to take her trust away by making any kind of wrong decisions for her. I have other siblings but my mother trust me and my husband. My mother having delusions that my other siblings trying to kill her so is my dad. I do not know what to do I need help from you all. Thank you so much.

Last edited by down2earth2014; 01-14-2017 at 10:08 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to down2earth2014:
YaYagirl (01-14-2017)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2017, 02:52 PM   #2
YaYagirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

YaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB User
Re: Need help and Advice please!

Dear down2earth2014,

You can get a second opinion outside that doctor's medical group. I would do so right away.

Make sure the new doctor does not work at the same hospital or medical group. Even with insurance you have aright to get an opinion outside the medical group. And make sure to write a list of the things she does, what day and time. Keep records. Take the record to the doctor.

This takes being assertive. I don't know why the first doctor is missing the signals, but it's up to you to make sure your mum gets proper care.

You can also ask the Hospice nurse if she knows of any doctor names where you can get a second or third opinion.

Bless your heart!

Love,

Last edited by YaYagirl; 01-14-2017 at 02:55 PM.

Old 01-14-2017, 08:13 PM   #3
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Need help and Advice please!

Hospice care is for those whose doctors have determined only have 6 months or less to live. If your mother's doctor did not make this determination, you can refuse the care. Hospice care is simply pain maintenance comfort care - also called palliative care. No measures will be taken to extend your mother's life - no ER visits, etc. I think you need to talk with her doctor again, get a determination of her situation and follow thru with either keeping hospice or terminating them.

Reply Reply