It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board

Advice on 82 father

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-06-2017, 10:46 AM   #1
crazyfj
(male)

crazyfj HB User
Advice on 82 father

Hi

I'm looking for advice. My father is 82 and he has crashed his car. Then despite ignoring me (I told him he wasn't fit to drive) bought a new one which he crashed the first day.

He is making random decisions for example rough casting a house that didn't need it. Drinking heavily, getting angry easily, not eating correctly.
Thinking people hate him. Talking to someone who isn't around.

I'm going in circles, all the doctors say is nothing we can do until he visits. He will never visit. I'm faced with reporting my own Dad

He has never had a formal diagnosis.

Any advice?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2017, 12:54 PM   #2
JohnR41
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: Advice on 82 father

If you have to report him, it will be for his own safety and the safety of other drivers on the road. If you know he's going out driving drunk, call the police and tell them what the situation is. Tell them he is exhibiting signs of dementia. Hopefully, they will take his license away before he causes a fatality on the road.

Old 09-06-2017, 04:34 PM   #3
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: Advice on 82 father

Each state has different rules about pulling someone's license. In my state a physician has to do it. My father was 80 and was going through the exact same thing. We later found out he had a brain tumor which was presenting like dementia, but wasnt.

It wasnt until he wound up in the hospital that I was able to get a doctor to revoke his driving privledges. You need to talk to a doctor to find out what can be done or you can call the DMV (dept of motor vehicles) to see if they can help you.

Good luck. Please get him off the road before he hurts someone.

Reply Reply