It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board

• microvascular angiopathy

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 11-03-2018, 02:32 PM   #1
    marip1
    (female)

marip1 HB User
    microvascular angiopathy

I recently had a MRI done because I suffered a real bad dizzy spell. It showed a small meningioma which my doctor will be watching with frequent MRI's. It also showed areas of microvascular angiopathy. Deep white matter increased signal intensity changes on T2 and FLAIR. Does this condition indicate I have alzheimers or demenia? I do have memory problems. I'm 67 years old. My neurologist all he said I shouldn't worry about this. It's due to aging. I'm thinking on going to another neurologist that will explain what this is.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-29-2018, 12:37 PM   #2
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
    Re: microvascular angiopathy

Your doctor said you have "microvascular angiopathy" and s/he will be keeping a watch on it with frequent MRIs. But your neurologist said you shouldn't worry about it. It seems like these two statements conflict with one another.

If there's nothing to worry about, why is there a need to watch it with frequent MRIs? I don't think you're getting the whole story. So if you're thinking of going to another neurologist for an explanation, I don't blame you.

Good luck and keep us up-to-date on whatever new information you gather.

Old 12-30-2018, 12:53 AM   #3
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: microvascular angiopathy

'Deep white matter increased signal intensity changes on T2 and FLAIR. " is simply the results of the MRi and T2 and Flair are the slices of the test which were used...

This can be normal for aging....microvascular angiopathy is the small blood vessels and is not the same as dementia or Alzheimer Disease. We all have small white matter changes as we age.

I have Multiple Sclerosis and also have white matter changes everytime I get an MRI, which is yearly. I have no symptoms.

If you wanted further explanation, you need to call your doctor and ask for additional clarification; however, you have nothing to worry about with regard to Dementia or Alzheimers at this time as they did not show up on the films.

Reply Reply