It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board

  • Groaning, Whimpering & Other Noises in Dementia

  • Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Old 08-14-2019, 11:21 AM   #1
    KateH2b1
    Newbie
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Nov 2018
    Location: Ohio, USA
    Posts: 7
    KateH2b1 HB User
    Question Groaning, Whimpering & Other Noises in Dementia

    My grandmother recently received a diagnosis of dementia from a neurologist. I was trying to explain about these noises she makes that are concerning. I suppose in retrospect I used the wrong words to describe it and ended up with a diagnosis of Pseudobulbar Affect (PBA), even though I know she doesn't have that. The definition of it is: a type of emotional disturbance characterized by uncontrollable episodes of crying and/or laughing, or other emotional displays. PBA occurs secondary to a neurologic disorder or brain injury."

    I used the words "moaning and crying" when I probably should have just said groaning, whimpering, and "aahh" sounds. I explained that she makes these sounds primarily when she's getting up out of her chair and moving around. She usually doesn't just make the noises randomly. Other times she makes them when she's hungry or has leg pain because she can't raise the footrest on her chair. There's almost always a reason for these vocalizations, I just don't always know exactly what's going on - I have to do detective work.

    She says she doesn't know why she makes the noises and it's unclear how much she can control it. I've gotten very stern with her about not making them in bed (because it wakes me up) and she stopped by 98%, so she can control it. The other 2% are times when I think she forgets not to make them.

    I know these types of noises are fairly common in dementia. I guess I'm wondering if anyone has ever come across a neurologist who completely misdiagnosed these noises as PBA? This diagnosis is now in my grandma's medical records, should I tell the doctor she doesn't have PBA and get it taken out?

    Or, does every person with dementia/Alzheimer's who makes these noises also have PBA?

     
    Reply With Quote
    Sponsors Lightbulb
       
    Reply Reply




    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off




    Sign Up Today!

    Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

    I want my free account

    All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:53 AM.





    2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
    Do not copy or redistribute in any form!