It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board

• Worried about my husband, stress or dementia?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 10-19-2019, 09:11 AM   #1
    k9love
    (female)

k9love HB User
    Worried about my husband, stress or dementia?

My husband has started having involuntary hand and feet movement, doesn't hurt and doesn't affect his work.
    Also he's started forgetting words,like he can't think of the word he wants to use, he's be to the doctors and he said its stress.
    I'm worried it's the start of dementia, he does have a demanding job and is very busy.
    I sent him back to the doctor and he's waiting on blood tests for almost everything, but I think he should have a MRI to rule anything out.
    Could this just be stress?, he's been doing this same job for 52 years and it could be too much for him now?
    Thank you for any help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-19-2019, 12:56 PM   #2
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
    Re: Worried about my husband, stress or dementia?

I think the doctor he needs to see for indepth assessment is via a neurologist who can order the big tests. Yes, CT or MRI would be in order. What is in the works regarding future appointments? And does his GP think it's nothing?

q

Old 10-19-2019, 12:59 PM   #3
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

The MMSE (mini mental state exam) is what his doctor needs to do. It's a questionnaire. You don't say how old he is but am assuming in his 70's...some forgetfulness of words is normal...too much going on in the brain! If he remembers the word later, then it's just normal.If he doesn't recognize the word after it's been told to him, then that's a cause for concern.

Old 10-19-2019, 01:40 PM   #4
    k9love
    (female)

k9love HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by quincy View Post
    I think the doctor he needs to see for indepth assessment is via a neurologist who can order the big tests. Yes, CT or MRI would be in order. What is in the works regarding future appointments? And does his GP think it's nothing?

q
    Hes waiting on blood test results at the moment, no other tests ordered yet.
    GP wants concerned about his symptoms but told him to go back in a month if no improvement in his hand and feet movements.

Old 10-19-2019, 01:42 PM   #5
    k9love
    (female)

k9love HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
    The MMSE (mini mental state exam) is what his doctor needs to do. It's a questionnaire. You don't say how old he is but am assuming in his 70's...some forgetfulness of words is normal...too much going on in the brain! If he remembers the word later, then it's just normal.If he doesn't recognize the word after it's been told to him, then that's a cause for concern.

Hes coming up to 68, he does remember the word if he stops to think about it, just doesn't flow if you know what I mean.

Old 10-19-2019, 03:00 PM   #6
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Oh I do! Happens to me all the time and I'm 73....very frustrating but also very normal according to my doctors. Put in this same category - walking into a room to get something and not remembering what it is! Have to go back to where I was and start over..also normal!

Old 10-19-2019, 04:38 PM   #7
    TreeFrog
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

TreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB User

Stress is certainly a large cause.

Forgetting words and recalling them later is completely normal at any age, but esp. when under stress.
    If one never recognizes a common word again, that would be completely different.

I hope you keep your fears to yourself and not suggest to him that he has dementia; to cause him to fear he has dementia would contribute to his stress. Leave that up to professionals to determine.

If he forgets who you are, that would more probably would be from dementia.

Old 10-20-2019, 02:41 AM   #8
    k9love
    (female)

k9love HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TreeFrog View Post
    Stress is certainly a large cause.

Forgetting words and recalling them later is completely normal at any age, but esp. when under stress.
    If one never recognizes a common word again, that would be completely different.

I hope you keep your fears to yourself and not suggest to him that he has dementia; to cause him to fear he has dementia would contribute to his stress. Leave that up to professionals to determine.

If he forgets who you are, that would more probably would be from dementia.
    I wouldn't dream of saying anything to him, when I've asked him to see his doctor I don't mention dementia, I just say you are due a blood pressure check etc.

Old 10-20-2019, 07:31 AM   #9
    TreeFrog
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

TreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB User

Your concerns are very understood, and I think that's a very good approach, k9love.
    From what you described, it seems there is no hurry to jump to thoughts of dementia diagnosis. True dementia involves not remembering but also is very different. If he forgets who you are or where to go poop, that is cause for concern about dementia

Due to the physical and mental stress he was under I encouraged my mate to retire in his 70's to which he agreed, so we moved to a place more suited to our new economy where we can afford to retire, plus if one of us goes before the other, the other can afford to stay here. Though he agreed to do this it still took a few months for each of us to settle down and relax about it, because of course, a move has it's own stress, waiting on a buyer for our place, finding another place to live, trying out new church fellowships, making new friends, finding stores we like in a new area and and all of the normal changes - even needed and wanted changes are stressful and tiring.

The older we get the harder life changes can be to accept, but you can make the necessary adjustments. Even with true dementia, we can sill adjust and deal with it and protect each other's dignity with help from professionals. So, no worries.

Old 10-20-2019, 10:07 AM   #10
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

If you do get to the point where you want some input, a word to his doctor confidentially would be in order.

Reply Reply