It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board

• dementia, chewing up hands

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 03-22-2020, 08:09 AM   #1
    nanzena
    (female)

nanzena HB User
    dementia, chewing up hands

My mom is in the late stages of dementia. She does not walk, talk or feed herself. Since my dad cant visit her or feed her meals, due to recent global events.... she has become very aggressive chewing her own hand. She needed to visit the ER recently, they thought she might have broken bones and needed stiches.
    They usually put a rolled up pillow case in her hand, which she chews on. Her hands are contracted and difficult to move.

My question is, what products are available to protect her hands.... and..... what can she chew on?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2020, 10:06 AM   #2
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
    Re: dementia, chewing up hands

Covering with anything that doesn't come apart as she is chewing...does she have false teeth? If yes, consider remove them as for her to not be able to pull apart the material.

The other additional option would be medication to ease the obsession of it or to ease the possible sensation in her hands she could be feeling. Some medications or deficiencies can cause tingling or pains or electrical zapping feelings in extremities. I wonder if gabapentin would be an option?
    Has she been checked for all vitamin b deficiencies as well as D, etc?

q

Reply Reply