It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board

Losing my mind at 21???

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-23-2001, 09:21 AM   #1
vsavatar

Post Losing my mind at 21???

This has been posted to two other groups as well in hopes of getting some answers. I'm a 21 year old male with ADHD and hypochondriasis which causes anxiety and depression occassionally. I'm currently taking ritalin and Xanax, only I abruptly stopped the ritalin about a week ago. Here's the problems I'm having. About 2 days after stopping the ritalin I've found that I cannot concentrate on anything. I'm constantly distracted by anything around me and also by fears of losing my mind and dying. I'm not forgetting much in the way of memory. The exact opposite actually, I remember things I hardly would ever remember. Small, trivial things. I find that I can now hold my concentration if I work really hard at doing so, but I'm not sure how much longer I can keep this up for. My doctor has me going to a neurologist on Wednesday, but I'm really getting freaked out here. They say the chances of it being AD are non-existent because I'm not old enough. They also say the chances of it being CJD or Huntington's are extremely small because the conditions are so rare in people my age that they've never seen a case in their entire career. They think it may be due to anxiety and hypochondriasis along with withdrawl from the ritalin. Has anyone on here ever dealt with this or have you known someone who has dealt with this without it being a fatal, incurable condition? It's just scaring the daylights out of me to think that I could lose my mind at only 21 years of age and that it will eventually kill me. I know I'm saved and going to heaven when I die, but the thought of the process of getting there is just scaring me half to death. Anything you can tell me would be helpful.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-04-2001, 09:39 AM   #2
Franklin K. Casel
Inactive

Franklin K. Casel HB User
Dear Visetar:
Your situation is complex and the best advise is for you to see the neurologist regularly and allow him or her to carefully prescribe the medicines and counseling as may be needed. None of us here on the Health Boards should in any way interfere or alter his program for you
Keep faith and God bless.

Old 12-04-2001, 09:48 AM   #3
Carreen

It seems you have a good handle on the fact that you have hypochondriasis. So you know, what comes with that is the fear/anxiety that you might die from some disease. Now you're worried that you're going to die. You are not going to die from lack of concentration. It's the ole anxiety creeping up on you.

Take it easy. It will probably take some time to get adjusted to life without ritalin. Another symptom of hypochondriasis is seeing doctor after doctor and they keep telling you you're ok. You should discuss your concerns with a therapist/psychiatrist. The thought patterns that lead you to think you're going to die (when indeed you're not) need to be dealt with.
Good luck.

Closed Thread