It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board

• DIFFERENCE BETWEEN PICK'S DS/PICK'S COMPLEX???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-15-2002, 04:42 PM   #1
    ginli

ginli HB User
    Post DIFFERENCE BETWEEN PICK'S DS/PICK'S COMPLEX???

Has anyone heard of this diagnosis? The doctor told us that my mom had Pick's complex and not Pick's disease. That little is known about it and there is no cure. I looked under Pick's complex and it only mentions about Pick's disease. It is so not my mother! One doctor said she had a form of PD(parkinson's) and now this guy says it's Pick's Complex! I don't know what to believe! It is supposed to be similar to Alzheimer's. Thankyou all in advance for any replies.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2002, 01:44 PM   #2
    bird123

bird123 HB User
    Pick’s dementia is similar to Alzheimer’s disease. The brain of the patient with Pick’s dementia has a frontal and temporal atrophy caused by cell death.
    The brain of the patient with Alzheimer’s disease typically has diffuse atrophy.
    Because Pick’s disease dementia affects the frontal and temporal lobes, patients often have frontal lobe signs, including dramatic behavioral changes of disinhibition, social inappropriateness, lack of concern about appearance and matters of personal hygiene.
    This is in contrast to patients with Alzheimer’s disease, who initially have memory problems with preservation of social skills until later in the disease process. There is no cure for Pick's dementia.

Old 07-20-2002, 01:59 PM   #3
    ginli

ginli HB User
    Thanks, Bird but is there a difference between Pick's disease and Pick's Complex? This is what the doctor told my mom although i don't know anything about the complex. again, thankyou for your response

Old 07-20-2002, 03:22 PM   #4
    SnowyLynne
    Inactive

SnowyLynne HB User
    I typed in Picks Complex,there's a lot of information out there........

------------------
    SnowyLynne

Old 08-22-2002, 04:33 AM   #5
    indsey

indsey HB User
    there is NO difference. pick disease/complex is the same thing it is also called frontal lobe disease

Old 08-22-2002, 08:45 AM   #6
    c-norman-0514

c-norman-0514 HB User
    i have heard of it. i think it is very similar to alzheimers, but i'm not sure how similar. give me a while & i'll try to do some research on it.

------------------
    cmn2005

Old 08-22-2002, 04:04 PM   #7
    SnowyLynne
    Inactive

SnowyLynne HB User
    Cool

I have several friends who have Picks,one has written a book.Working on another! It is hard for him,though.

Old 08-22-2002, 04:40 PM   #8
    ginli

ginli HB User
    Thanks C and Snow. I'm not sure if that is what my mom has but i don't think so after reading the symptoms. It's hard to tell. Two different doctors and 2 different opinions!! One doc to go on Sept 12th. Hope he knows a little more. again, thankyou

Closed Thread