It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board

• Namenda - Your experience with this med?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-21-2005, 03:26 PM   #1
    Min2003
    (female)

Min2003 HB User
    Thumbs up Namenda - Your experience with this med?

hello My Mom, age 78, started taking Namenda a few weeks ago. Started with 5 mg twice daily for about 3 weeks then increased it to 10 mg twice daily. Mom's Dr had said that she has seen amazing results in 10 months. It helps them "focus". I think we are seeing results already! Even the Home Aide said that she sees an improvement in my Mom. My mom's questions and comments seem clearer and understandable. At another board, someone had said that she too saw results within one month-- from her Dad babbling to giving a toast at a wedding! Isn't this great? I am so happy and excited. (My Mom also takes Reminyl--now called Razadyne and Seroquel).

Q: I would like to hear others experience with Namenda. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-21-2005, 04:25 PM   #2
    BarbaraH
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB User
    Re: Namenda - Your experience with this med?

Hi Min,

Sorry I can be of no help as my mother was never on Namenda. Glad your mother is improving!

Welcome anyway!!

Wishing you well - Barbara

Last edited by BarbaraH; 06-21-2005 at 04:26 PM.

Old 06-21-2005, 04:33 PM   #3
    mightyquin
    (female)

mightyquin HB User

Hi Min,

So glad to hear your mom is doing well with Namenda. My mom is 88 and is on Reminyl and Namenda. I can't say that we have seen the same results. Maybe it has slowed the disease down a bit but not apparent to most people. I know every case is different and glad your mom is improving.

Sue

Last edited by mightyquin; 06-21-2005 at 04:34 PM.

Old 06-22-2005, 09:01 AM   #4
    janeslk
    Veteran
    (female)

janeslk HB User

It didn't seem to have that much effect on my father-in-law. It seemed to make him more "antsy". He has gone off it and a few of his high blood pressure meds and his memory seems better lately. Isn't Namenda's effectiveness limited to six months or so? I thought I read that somewhere in the myriad of stuff I read about this disease.

Old 06-27-2005, 08:15 PM   #5
    Fleet
    (male)

Fleet HB User

My mom has been on Namenda (also Aricept) since early 2004. She seems to have stabilized, but since she is also taking Aricept, in addition to ginko biloba, coenzyme, vitamin C, etc. I can't say for sure that the Namenda is working. But I would guess that it has had some part.

Old 06-28-2005, 01:22 AM   #6
    JL7808
    (male)

JL7808 HB User

My father has been on Namenda for the last year and it was a godsend. When he was started on it he couldn't write his own name half the time, within about 2wks he had more clarity and could remember and recite what he was asked to by the neurologist. His writing ability and reading ability returned to him. It definitely made a significant difference for him and his quality of life. He stayed relatively stable for about 6 months then the alzheimers progression kicked in again. Over the following months he continued to decline but at a managable pace. He still has the ability to remember things for a short time span. He is still on Namenda and recently has been placed on sequoral to help with the restlessness at night. In our case it enabled us to keep him in the community for the last year. Hope this helps some.

Closed Thread