It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board

• Hallucination

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-17-2006, 08:21 AM   #1
    needtoescape
    (female)

needtoescape HB User
    Hallucination

Hubby had what seemed to be a hallucination last night. He was "led" to make a "potion" that would "make him strong". (That part he told me this morning when I asked him what he remembered about last night.) He came into the living room carrying a bowl overflowing with what looked like a mess of something with chocolate syrup and powdered sugar. He was acting like he was doped up on something. I asked him what was in the bowl. He said, with somewhat slurred speech, uh snakes, uh... (didn't finish). He proceded to feed it to himself with his hand shaking. He spilled a bunch on himself and didn't seem to realize or care (not like him). I went to get some washclothes to clean him up and found a mess in the kitchen where he had prepared his "potion". There was powdered sugar on the counter and the floor as well as other things spilled that I couldn't identify. I cleaned him up; he continued to eat and spill more on himself. I cleaned him up again. I was trying to get him to stop eating it because it had lots of ingredients that usually give him bad reflux but he just said "I have high hopes for this" and kept eating. When he was done, he stumbled into the kitchen. He fell asleep in his chair shortly after that.

While it was occuring, he was acting so doped up (not responding to me; glazed eyes, etc.) that I wondered if I should call 911 and tell them my husband had an "altered mental status".

This morning we talked about it. He doesn't remember much about spilling it on himself and me cleaning him up. He just remembers being "led" to make it - that it was "magic" and was going to make him strong...

I guess I will double check his pill boxes and see if he accidentally doubled up on something - and call the doctor to see what they say... and see what happens tonight...I guess I also need to take over preparing the pill boxes.

According to the tests, he does not have AD. But he continues to have difficulty with tasks, holds his head and gets frustrated when he's trying to figure something out; struggles for words, etc.

I think the hallucination was probably a med overdose thing. But why can't he prepare his pill boxes correctly if he is "ok"...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-17-2006, 11:21 AM   #2
    Martha H
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User
    Re: Hallucination

Sorry you had to go through that. It seems like a good idea for you to prepare his meds. Strange experience. The mind is so hard to decipher ...

Good luck , hang in there.

Love,

Martha

Old 05-17-2006, 11:53 AM   #3
    WannaBeFreeToRoam
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

WannaBeFreeToRoam HB UserWannaBeFreeToRoam HB UserWannaBeFreeToRoam HB User

Hi Need,

I agree with you and Martha. You need to prepare his pill boxes and possible move them to a new place. And over see what pill taking that you can.

Did your husband ever have a MMSE? Sometimes the hospital tests to not show alzheimers but the dr. and the MMSE point in that direction...

You probably already said, somewhere way back, about the above paragraph and I just missed it. I think he does have something wrong with him. I worry, because he could have way overdosed himself. What if the potion was with much more pills???!!

Take care of you too.

Love, Wannabe

Old 05-17-2006, 04:43 PM   #4
    needtoescape
    (female)

needtoescape HB User

Thanks Martha and Wannabe for the reply.

After all the scans and things, he had a full blown neuropsychological work-up (full day of testing). It showed some differences between left and right brain function, but most of the tests were either normal or above average. A few were below average; one was "mildly impaired". The doc. made the comment that this would be a baseline - and that "in 4 years when you tell me he's much worse, we'll repeat the test and be able to tell if he really is..." So that left me with the feeling that the neurologist wasn't convinced there wasn't a problem - but just that it wasn't bad enough yet to quantify with those tests.

It also showed the need for psychiatric evaluation; that is happening in June. He actually has been less depressed lately.

I am going to talk to his regular doc. first and possibly ask him to confer with the neurologist on the meds. I think they need to adjust something.

I never thought about him putting pills in the "potion". That could be disastrous. I guess I will have to oversee the meds from now on. Hubby asked me to try to prevent him from making another potion tonight if he tries! I told him I tried last night to get him to quit eating it, but he was insistent. I just hope that his funny ideas don't progress to something more dangerous than a mixture of butter, peanut butter, powdered sugar, brown sugar and chocolate syrup!

Thanks for your input.

Closed Thread