It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board

• How Long Can He Last Like This????

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-13-2007, 09:25 AM   #1
    mamaduck4
    (female)

mamaduck4 HB User
    How Long Can He Last Like This????

My husband walked into the VA two weeks ago and that very day after being there only a few hours (didn't want to be there) went totally out of control and started acting out, very combative behavior. He would try to bite, kick, hit, etc. He never did this before! We brought him there from the assisted living where he had been for a little over a month. We were waiting for a bed to open at the VA so that is why he was in temporary assisted living. I might add that the VA was about 4 hours from our home but he traveled very well, no problems until the last half hour. He was becoming a little agitated after such a long ride. Well, I think that ride up there and the fact he didn't want to be there pushed him over the edge. That very night the VA had to call the hospital 50 miles away, psych unit, and they brought him there by ambulance, There he was for a little over a week and in restraints! They gave him a medication that I told them not to give him because from past history when he was in the hospital it worked on him exactly opposite from what it should do. He goes crazy!! Well of course that is what they gave him and it took three days for that to wear off. However, he didn't eat, drink, talk, can't walk, became incontinent and was still combative.

This hospital couldn't handle him so they transferred him by ambulance four hours away to a hospital that had a geriatric psych ward. He has been there for four days now and they have him sitting up at least. He still won't eat, drink, and cannot stand up. He stares into space with no type of communication. It is the saddest thing I have ever seen. H has lost a ton of weight, he is a tall lean man in the first place, but he is nothing but a bone now.

I just want to add that the day we took him from assisted living up to the VA, we stopped for breakfast and he ate a large breakfast. We also stopped for lunch and he again ate a good sized lunch and enjoyed it. He also used the bathroom three times on the way and did fine.

How long can a person survive like this? The doctors said he could survive many weeks without food but liquid is another matter. You can only go so long without liquid. They tell me that they have seen someone go down hill this fast but it is unbelievable to see him deteriorate in just two weeks time.

Any comments or input from all you wise people would be very much appreciated.

Thank you,
    Jan

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2007, 04:54 AM   #2
    kathryn55
    (female)

kathryn55 HB User
    Re: How Long Can He Last Like This????

Hello, I am sorry that you are having to go through this horrible ordeal. I have no answers either for you but it brings back memories of last year when I took mum to my sons place which was a four hour round trip.Mum was so agitated by this I had to notify her GP who in turn arranged for the geriatrician to make a urgent home visit. Mum was given medication that did calm her, but she did deteriorate and 6 months later she was permanently placed into care.At first mum was very distressed and it was heartbreaking having to watch this, but 9 weeks on things are looking more positive.I have heard of people going down hill quite fast, but,maybe it's the effects of the meds I do hope that things get sorted for you real quick. I can only sympathize and I know that's not much good to you, Keep Strong.HUGS Kathryn.

Old 07-15-2007, 09:04 AM   #3
    UJG
    (male)

UJG HB User

That's very sad. I think maybe the most you can do is make sure you're taking care of yourself through all of this.

Also, how irresponsible for the doctors to administer meds that you specifically indicated would have an ill effect.

Jay

Old 07-15-2007, 01:11 PM   #4
    petal*pusher
    Veteran
    (female)

petal*pusher HB User

Jan...I'm afraid I cannot say anything to soften this situation for you either...but I'm sure glad there are gentle shoulders her to help you.

I sure agree with Jay...please take care of yourself also. Sending prayers your way.....Pam

Old 07-18-2007, 09:10 AM   #5
    mamaduck4
    (female)

mamaduck4 HB User

Thank you so much for your kind words. I just wanted to let you all know that I posted this message on 7-13 and my husband passed away early morning on 7-15. My family and I were called into the hospital early a.m. on the 14th and we stayed with him all day and all night until he passed early a.m. on the 15th. It was a blessing for him to be taken away from this horrible disease. I pray to God each day that a cure will be forthcoming so others don't have to go through this indignity and pain.

My love to you all,
    Jan

Old 07-18-2007, 09:42 AM   #6
    petal*pusher
    Veteran
    (female)

petal*pusher HB User

Oh Jan........Please know you are in my thoughts. It's difficult watching a loved one suffer...but that does not make loosing them any easier. Your husband has found peace at the end of this long difficult journey. Sending love.....Pam

Old 07-18-2007, 12:54 PM   #7
    Martha H
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User

Dear Jan, I am sorry for your loss. First for the loss of your husband as he was, when this disease, "the Imposter", took over, and now for the loss of his physical self as well. Please know that many of us here are in deep sympathy for you.

Love,

Martha

Closed Thread