It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board

• Middle Age Mother Becoming Increasingly Forgetful

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-02-2010, 05:17 PM   #1
    ben904
    (male)

ben904 HB User
    Question Middle Age Mother Becoming Increasingly Forgetful

My mom is around 53 years old, and she is generally good health. I've noticed, however, that lately she is forgetting a lot of things...mostly recent things or little bits of detail.

For example, I'll tell her something on monday, she forgets by tuesday. Or in the morning I'll tell her that I need to be picked up at the local park, she drives to the high school instead. I've tried to get around this by telling her things everyday weeks in advance, but its to no avail. She is seemingly normal, and its not like she is confused or anything, it'ts just that she appears to be extremely forgetful lately, and I don't know why.

This morning I told her that I have drivers ed, like I do every thursday, and I would need to be picked up at 5:15, like I do every thursday. I get a call in the middle of my drivers ed class an its my mom, asking me if I walked the dog yet, acting as if I had gotten home normal time.

She changed jobs recently, and now is up until at least 12am every night creating lesson plans (she's a teacher.) Between her new position, and the worsening economic situation, she is under an enormous amount of stress. Could this constant forgetfulness be due to her stress? Or is it something we should be worried about? It's very unnerving.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-02-2010, 07:29 PM   #2
    Beginning
    Veteran
    (female)

Beginning HB UserBeginning HB UserBeginning HB UserBeginning HB UserBeginning HB UserBeginning HB UserBeginning HB UserBeginning HB UserBeginning HB UserBeginning HB User
    Re: Middle Age Mother Becoming Increasingly Forgetful

It could definitely be stress (way too much on her mind...I've been there myself). It could also be exhaustion. Exhaustion + stress can cause anyone to stop functioning.

It could be due to other medical reasons, like problems with her thyroid, sugar, etc. I also really felt that I became forgetful and that my brain "slowed down" during menopause. I don't know if all women feel the same, but I definitely felt different during that time of my life. I felt that I wasn't as resiliant, became a little more forgetful and began to feel physically weaker.

To make things even worse, December adds to stress, since Mothers tend to carry the burden of decorating, shopping, wrapping, baking, sending cards, etc.

With the new job and lack of sleep, an obvious guess is that it's stress and exhaustion. It sounds like she's sleep deprived! You can suggest that she try to fit a physical into her schedule, but any help you can give her will probably help the most. She's lucky to have such a caring kid!

Old 12-02-2010, 10:41 PM   #3
    Gabriel
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

Beginning is right, it could be stress, sleep deprivation, or some other medical cause. Your mom needs to go to her doctor for a complete physical including blood work. You can also ask for a mini mental state exam. This will give you a snap shot of her cognitive abilities. If the score is below 30 then she might want a referral to a neurologist.

Another suggestion is a small pocket calendar with your schedule in it. She can check it several times a day to see what your schedule for that day is. With all her other stress, and being such a wonderful independent child, she may just not be worried about you, thinking you are taking care of yourself.

Good luck and I hope you can find the reason for your Mom's forgetfulness soon.

Love, deb

Old 12-03-2010, 02:03 PM   #4
    debbie g
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

what a great thing you did by posting your concerns about your mom. who knows what it could be. talk to your mom and tell her she needs to make a drs appt. tell her how you feel and keep posting.

Old 12-04-2010, 12:41 PM   #5
    indaslot
    (female)

indaslot HB Userindaslot HB Userindaslot HB Userindaslot HB Userindaslot HB Userindaslot HB User

I would like to add that it could also be due to menopause. Some women do become forgetful during that time due to hormone fluctuations. This improves over time.

Old 12-04-2010, 04:00 PM   #6
    meg1230
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

meg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB User

Is there another adult you can talk to about this? A grandparent or aunt or uncle? Express your concerns to them also.

The idea of a pocket calendar for her is a great idea...maybe a pretty one for her from you as a Christmas gift would be nice...you could pencil in your schedule ahead of time...color code things for her.

Good luck and keep posting so we know how things are going for you both.

Love, Meg

Closed Thread