It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board

Hello

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-04-2013, 02:16 PM   #1
bearcubs
(female)

bearcubs HB Userbearcubs HB Userbearcubs HB Userbearcubs HB User
Hello

I hope everyone is having a good day. The sun is shining finally after a stretch of days with rain. My mom is forgetting words more now and she doesn't know if it is morning, afternoon or evening. Last night at 7:15 p.m. she asked me if it was morning. Does anyone know what stage this happens. I know the stages overlap but I was just wondering if anyone has any ideas.

Thank you

Elaine

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2013, 04:54 PM   #2
sonofvasc
(male)

sonofvasc HB User
Re: Hello

Hi Elaine,
I'm sure stages occur differently with different people. My dad with vascular dementia started having trouble with time as one of the earlier signs of his illness. He would call me up at 2 in the morning, wondering why I hadn't gotten to his house (as I planned to be there the following afternoon). He drove off to meetings and appointments in the middle of the night. It somehow didn't occur to him that it wasn't daytime. I think he went to sleep early in the night and when he woke up, no matter what time it was, he thought it was the next day. He also said at various times that it was dark all day, thinking an entire day would pass in darkness. He recognizes the time on a clock but often cannot figure out what it means. But in a number of other areas, he is still sharp.

Hope that helps.

Randy

The Following User Says Thank You to sonofvasc For This Useful Post:
bearcubs (06-05-2013)
Old 06-04-2013, 06:24 PM   #3
Luau
(male)

Luau HB UserLuau HB UserLuau HB UserLuau HB UserLuau HB UserLuau HB UserLuau HB User

Many of us cognitively healthy people take for granted our ability to connect the dots between two sets of thoughts, to innately understand how the two sets of events are interrelated.

The ability to understand the concept of time when looking at a clock is one thing. To understand time in terms of appointments or what happens is another thing. These confusions happen when there is disruption in the ability to relate the clock time and real life situation time.

Handling money is another example. Understanding how much something costs and how much one has in the bank is one thing. However, being able to connect the dots to innately understand that you cannot spend the same dollar twice or thrice is the issue.

The Following User Says Thank You to Luau For This Useful Post:
bearcubs (06-05-2013)
Old 06-04-2013, 10:50 PM   #4
Gabriel
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

Hello Bearcubs... it's been a while Glad the sun is shining on you! There are several different scales used to determine the level of decline. I prefer the simple one. It includes Mild Cognitive Impairment (MCI), Mild dementia, Moderate Dementia, Sever Dementia. MIC you usually don't see symptoms. Most are actually diagnosed with Mild to Moderate Dementia. Language difficulties usually occur in the late Moderate to early Sever Dementia stage. You are right in that they symptoms are not always the same for everyone and they do overlap. That is why I like the simpler four state scale On the 7 level scale... what you described is between a 5 and 6...

Hope that helps Glad to hear from you!

Love, deb

The following user gives a hug of support to Gabriel:
bearcubs (06-05-2013)
The Following User Says Thank You to Gabriel For This Useful Post:
bearcubs (06-05-2013)
Old 06-04-2013, 11:03 PM   #5
bearcubs
(female)

Deb, I have been browsing but not posting lately. Thank you for your explanation. It really helps me knowing I can come here and feel like someone like you really cares. I haven't met you but you have a place within my heart. May God Bless you always. I'm taking it one day at a time and it is really difficult for me because I don't have any family nearby, just my hubby and me. It is truly a sad situation. But my dear mom is doing the best she can. God Bless her. I love her more than anything in the world.
Take care,

Love Elaine Hugs

Last edited by bearcubs; 06-04-2013 at 11:05 PM.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:07 PM   #6
Gabriel
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

Mom is doing the best she can and you are doing the best you can... all is well It is a difficult situation but one you can do, and are doing well. Find the moments of joy with your Mom. Take a lesson from her and live in the moment. The past is gone and the future is not here. We only have today so live it the best possible and enjoy every moment. No worries

Love, deb

The following user gives a hug of support to Gabriel:
bearcubs (06-06-2013)
Old 06-07-2013, 11:51 AM   #7
ninamarc
Senior Veteran
(female)

ninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB User

Everyone here said it well. It is harder to see a close relative like Mom or Dad or spouse to go downhill like that.
I think it is moderate stage when she doesn't know the time and AM/PM. At this point, I am sure she doesn't know the season as well (season is part of the MMSE questions.)
She would not know it is spring or summer or winter outside. So if it is winter, someone has to tell her she needs a jacket or put on the jacket outside when she feels the cold.
About the time, my late FIL was not that obvious. Until end stage or late moderate stage in the last 2 years (2011 and 2012), he was able to see his watch and read time given the caregiver's help. But he didn't know when to go to bed and when to eat. He had no concept that he sat in the couch for 4 hours. Someone had to remind him that he needed to get up and walk after 1 or 2 hours.
My late FIL always had caregivers near him so it is hard for us to really find out when he didn't know time. He didn't know the season for sure but the time is not that obvious because he got up early in the day with daylight and went to bed after dinner and some TV. The outside went dark and he had sun downing. He would also ask the caregiver what time it was when he woke up on the couch. We turned on the light indoors. Since he totally depended on the caregivers, he didn't have obvious issue with the time itself.

I can see that now if my own parents get this, I would be very upset knowing it is my own kin. The closer the person is to you, the more fearful you feel. I can see that you are upset that Mom declines. It is moderate stage and she still has a long way to go. Hang in there.

Hugs,
Nina

Last edited by ninamarc; 06-07-2013 at 11:58 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to ninamarc:
bearcubs (06-07-2013)
The Following User Says Thank You to ninamarc For This Useful Post:
bearcubs (06-07-2013)
Old 06-07-2013, 02:46 PM   #8
bearcubs
(female)

Nina, you are exactly right. My mom doesn't know what season it is because sometimes she thinks it is going to snow and it is June. But then on the other hand she doesn't know what day or month it is either. When it is cold outside she thinks she just needs a sweater. The same thing again, she is inside all the time and she doesn't know the temperature outside. As long as she is warm inside then that is how she thinks she should dress for outside. Thank you for replying to my post and you have yourself a lovely weekend. Elaine

Closed Thread