It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board

Brain fitness

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-10-2013, 10:26 PM   #1
Coolerkid9090
(male)

Coolerkid9090 HB User
Brain fitness

Can anyone recommend the best kind of 'brain fitness' programs to try? I've looked at Luminosity & Mind Sparke. I want something I can give to someone suffering with Alzheimer's that they can do every day. I notice that the symptoms are at their worst when he is doing very boring, day to day things, but lessen when he is engaged in activities, with company, on vacation, ect. So I want something that can engage him daily to challenge his mind, memory, ect.

Can anyone tell me which would be better to try or any others? Otherwise, are there any games too that we could play together that might have the same effect?

Last edited by Coolerkid9090; 12-10-2013 at 10:32 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-11-2013, 02:26 PM   #2
ninamarc
Senior Veteran
(female)

ninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB User
Re: Brain fitness

Hi Coolerkid,

I don't believe there are any special mental brain program for Alzheimer's patients.
In fact, most of these programs are for prevention.
For Alzheimer's patient, it is better to go with his daily life style. For example, play puzzle or crossword puzzle with him. Play chess if he remembers. Play simple card game with him. I also want to point out that one should not force the patient to be engaged as it would make the person upset.

-Nina

Last edited by moderator2; 12-11-2013 at 02:43 PM. Reason: posted copyrighted material

Old 12-11-2013, 08:35 PM   #3
Gabriel
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User
Re: Brain fitness

Cooler, part of the problems is that he will not do them alone. It is better to engage him rather than leave a project for him. He is probably having difficulty with part time memory so he will not remember something you just showed him. Your instruction may be lost as soon as you go. The ability to initiate is also lacking. If you present, he will follow but if you leave it to him to start, he will sit there. Dad would sit and sit and sit. But if you pulled out the checker board and set it up, he would win while laughing and ribbing you. I could pick up the book next to him, open it, and he would start talking about the pictures in the book but he would not pick it up himself. The secret is not to give him something and depend on him to use it but to engage him.

Yes, we are all more stimulated when we are on vacation, at a party, have company. It is unrealistic to expect to be able to simulate that with a mind game. Also know that the ability to express emotions is decreased. He may be happy in his routine. Those with Alzheimer's function better with what they know... their routine

No, I do not know of any "brain fitness" program designed for those with Alzheimer's that they are able to do alone.

Love, deb

Closed Thread