It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board

• Alzheimers: Heredity??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-24-2014, 09:15 AM   #1
    MARY ELLEN B
    (female)

MARY ELLEN B HB User
    Question Alzheimers: Heredity??

Two of my aunt's had Alzheimers......I am curious if I should get tested to see if I am a candidate. I am 63. Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2014, 12:41 PM   #2
    lenvegas
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

lenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB User
    Re: Alzheimers: Heredity??

Hi, I believe there is no definitive test that will indicate you will absolutely get Alzheimers. However they can test you for the APOE gene which if you have it will indicate a better probability of getting it but often people with this gene will not get Alaheimers. Lifestyle and environmental factors also play a role. So, if you are in good health with no diabetes, circulatory or metabolic problems then you risk is diminished.

Old 10-24-2014, 12:47 PM   #3
    MARY ELLEN B
    (female)

MARY ELLEN B HB User
    Wink Re: Alzheimers: Heredity??

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lenvegas View Post
    Hi, I believe there is no definitive test that will indicate you will absolutely get Alzheimers. However they can test you for the APOE gene which if you have it will indicate a better probability of getting it but often people with this gene will not get Alaheimers. Lifestyle and environmental factors also play a role. So, if you are in good health with no diabetes, circulatory or metabolic problems then you risk is diminished.
    Thank you so much! I appreciate the info........and feel much more hopeful I am not at risk!

Old 10-24-2014, 06:55 PM   #4
    SOTM
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

SOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MARY ELLEN B View Post
    Two of my aunt's had Alzheimers......I am curious if I should get tested to see if I am a candidate. I am 63. Thank you!
    3 of 6 of my Aunts and Uncles have Alzheimers. They were 55-ish when noticeable symptoms appeared. Quoted below is what one of my cousins found by having her dad(my uncle) tested genetically. Needless to say, all of my generation are concerned that we have this in us, but the results as shown below explain how there is not that much reason to worry. The early onset is a scary one.....but that would need genetic testing to determine it. The history of both sides comes in to play. For myself, my moms side has a decent history of it, my dads very little if any.

Here is the result quoted from my cousin:

Dad DOES NOT have the Early Onset Gene. That gene is dominant/deterministic. That means that if someone has the gene, they will get Alzheimer's. It's also referred to as the familial Alzheimer's gene as many people in a family will have the disease, across generations. It works the same was the eye color. So offspring have a 50% chance of inheriting the gene, and if they inherit it, they'll get Alzheimer's. Dad doesn't have this gene!

They DID discover what has caused dad's Alzheimer's though (and that is now his official diagnosis). First off, don't worry! I'll explain every detail!

So, every human has two APOE genes. One is inherited from each parent. There are three types: APOE-e2, APOE-e3, and APOE-e4. Most people have APOE-e3 (common, does not increase risk for Alzheimer's). Some have APOE-e2, which is a protective gene (protects again risk to Alzheimer's) and some have APOE-e4, which increases a person's risk for developing Alzheimer's. Dad has two APOE-e4 genes, which means he inherited one from each parent. So dad had a 80% chance of developing Alzheimer's. I'm deducing that Grandpa ****** had either APOE-e3 or e2 as they other one since half of dad's siblings seem healthy. I'd imagine Grandma ****** had two APOE-e4 genes since she had the disease. But I'm just guessing... and it doesn't matter anyway.

What's important to know is that these genes don't dictate whether someone gets Alzheimer's. They only indicate risk. So obviously two APOE-e4 genes may lead to it...but there's that 20% who still won't get it. Too bad dad didn't fall into that category...and it could be that one more of dad's siblings have both, but fell into that 20% group.... All conjecture! Who knows what factors contribute to elevating that risk further. That's what we hope researchers find out!

The implications for us are that we needn't worry. Mom doesn't have any dementia in her family. This means she has one or two APOE-e3 and/or -e2, which we receive. That should be huge relief. Since these genes aren't dominant, one doesn't "trump" the other. She essentially has lowered our risk. The risk genes make up 20-25% of Alzheimer's cases (and that's when people have two APOE-e4)...that's it. The Dr. explained that we shouldn't be concerned or worried.

The Following User Says Thank You to SOTM For This Useful Post:
    scorptired (11-02-2014)
    Old 10-24-2014, 09:33 PM   #5
    MARY ELLEN B
    (female)

MARY ELLEN B HB User

Thank you for taking so much time to explain the risk of the disease and allaying my fears! I feel so much better and less concerned.
    Sincerely - you were very generous with your thoughts.....

Closed Thread