It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board

Christmas Gifts Ignored

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-28-2014, 02:47 PM   #1
rabd
(female)

rabd HB User
Christmas Gifts Ignored

My mom has Alzheimer's. Christmas was different this year. She received slippers but wont' wear them because she says she will wear them out too soon, she got a nightgown but put it in a drawer and won't wear it, and she received bubblebath and won't use it but says she will soon. What is it in the mind of the Alzheimer's that makes them do this. She is 80 yrs. old and I love her dearly. She is in stage 5. Thank you for any replies.

The following user gives a hug of support to rabd:
valerie2013 (12-29-2014)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-29-2014, 01:35 PM   #2
Gabriel
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User
Re: Christmas Gifts Ignored

It is difficult to say exactly what is in her mind because each loved one with Alzheimer's is different. What I can say is that her reality is not the same as it was before and she will react differently. My best guess is, those with dementia love routine!! The same thing over and over and over is perfect for them. I solved the problem by buying the same thing over and over. White pants, pastel pink shirts, the same black bedroom slippers, and pink night gowns. Sounds boring and redundant but that is what she liked. It also gave her repetition which she appreciated. She liked to stay where she was with her same schedule. A trip to the grocery store could throw her out of kilter for several days. As for the bubble bath, if she is taking a bath/shower at all you are lucky. Using bubble bath involves another step in a difficult bath process. If somebody ran the bath and put the bubble bath in for her, she might enjoy it for a short time

Some will put away new items and forget they are there. When they are mentioned they do come up with "excuses". I'm saving that or don't want to wear it out sounds logical. In reality she might not remember it... or she might not want to use it because it is new. Many of the older generation "saved" their new stuff for when it was truly needed. With Mom, we just pulled out the new gowns and helped her into them. I would replace the old worn out slippers with the new ones and just put them on her feet. That eliminated forgetting and the need to save new stuff. Don't expect her to use the new on her own... her her use it

Love, deb

The Following User Says Thank You to Gabriel For This Useful Post:
rabd (12-31-2014)
Old 12-31-2014, 04:52 PM   #3
rabd
(female)

rabd HB User
Re: Christmas Gifts Ignored

Thank you so much. Your reply really helps.

Reply Reply