It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board

ALZ Hospice

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-12-2015, 06:28 PM   #1
js4vna2
(female)

js4vna2 HB User
ALZ Hospice

My husband has alz dementia and is on hospice he has stopped eating Someone from Hospice will be at the nursing tomorrow to assess my husband He said they will decide whether to take him off his meds He said if they do they will put him on a medicine for pain Oh my, my mind went blank don't remember the name Anyways, I'm really nervous about this medicine Do they have pain? What can we expect? Any help would be appreciated Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2015, 10:44 PM   #2
Gabriel
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User
Re: ALZ Hospice

Please do not be scared of the medication. It is probably Roxanol (liquid morphine sulfate) that can be given easily even to those who can no longer swallow medication because it is absorbed through the lining of the mouth. It not only helps with the pain they may be having but also helps with the shortness of breath. Both of my parents were on Hospice care and given Roxanol. Dad only received a few dosages over a period of a week as he was not in sever pain or have breathing difficulties. Mom only had Roxanol the last day she was alive. Hospice may also use Ativan to relieve anxiety, or Atrophine to reduce long congestion.

You can tell his pain level by watching for the non-verbal signs of pain. Brow furrowing, clutching fist, agitation, wincing and tensing muscles, eyes tightly shut... the same nonverbal signs that we show when we are in pain may be noted. You may also see short jerky breaths being taken or long pauses between breaths.

The Hospice personnel can explain this as you go. Each patient has their own time table and process for what comes next. The body can live for a month typically without food but only a few days without liquids. So go quickly and other linger. Ask your Hospice nurse or social worker to explain what they are watching for and what each symptom means. It will give you a much better understanding.

Having been through this process twice, I do understand how frightful it can be. Do not be afraid to ask questions. Understanding does help take away the fear of the process... but it can not take away the fear of the outcome. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your husband at this time for the peace and comfort that you both need.

Love, deb

Old 01-21-2015, 08:42 AM   #3
scorptired
(female)

scorptired HB Userscorptired HB Userscorptired HB Userscorptired HB User
Re: ALZ Hospice

Yes, they do have pain. They just can't vocalize it. You'll hear them moan and groan when they get changed and things like that and their joints are stiff and will be painful when they move them. Best wishes!!!

Reply Reply