It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board

Dementia patient becoming more compliant

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-24-2015, 01:02 PM   #1
Vjh
(female)

Vjh HB User
Dementia patient becoming more compliant

My MIL has recently become much more compliant.
Whenever anyone says or suggests something she says "oh, okay".
This change has made her much easier to deal with.
I'm curious if this is unusual stage progression.
Does anyone know?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2015, 10:04 PM   #2
Gabriel
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User
Re: Dementia patient becoming more compliant

Vjh, yes this can happen. I am not sure it's a "stage" for everyone but it is a way of coping. If you don't understand what is happening you, no matter how hard you try, you will either fight against it or comply with it. Yes or No! Often the same person will have periods of compliance (agree with everything) and periods of non compliance (agree with nothing).

My Dad was usually compliant. It was all ok with him. Unless something upset him or he was delusional, he was easy. Mom on the other hand was my non compliant one. Everything was answered with a NO! Later in the disease she did become more compliant but still had her stubborn moments.

How someone with dementia reacts to the world around them is as varied as the person themselves. Just be thankful that she is being compliant rather than agitated..

Love, deb

Old 04-09-2015, 06:51 AM   #3
Luau
(male)

Luau HB UserLuau HB UserLuau HB UserLuau HB UserLuau HB UserLuau HB UserLuau HB User
Re: Dementia patient becoming more compliant

My 96 yo mother went through an extreme ornery stage for a year or so. During that time she was fiercely suspicious of everyone and extremely negative. She managed to insult housekeepers, gardeners that my brother and I recruited to help out around the house. She also managed to insult a string of informal caregivers who were hired to keep her company and to watch over her and caused them to quit. She also began thinking my brother was trying to get rid of her. Thankfully, that phase is over. She is now much more serene, happier, and thankfully compliant. And we can retain the hired help! She is content and happy with her food, the flowers blooming outside the window, and all the little things in life. Though it is sad that she has progressed to the point that she cannot tell the difference between a TV remote and a telephone, and magically, she forgot completely the last 50 years of her life, and her previous home where she spend several decades. She also outlived 3 husbands, but she has forgotten Husband #2 and #3. She speaks fondly of her memories of her teenage years, and then how she moved in with my brother just last week. Never mind that we had her at my brother's place for the last 15 years! But she is serene and happy. Great appetite, and looks forward to eating. Loves her lobster, crab meat, and other mundane foods.

Reply Reply