It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Amputation / Prosthetic Message Board

• Multiple surgeries/RSD Amputation

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 04-07-2016, 04:27 PM   #1
    qualma
    (male)

qualma HB User
    Multiple surgeries/RSD Amputation

I have had 7 surgeries on my foot and ankle, including a triple arthrodesis of the foot, transplant of tendons, bone graft, arthroscopes, 2 micro fractures, etc. as a result I have developed Complex Regional Pain Syndrome, with the discoloration, swelling, unbelievable tenderness and of course pain.

As a result of the surgeries I walk with a permanent pronounced limp, which of course translates into lower back pain. I have an Ortho surgeon who I adore, I mean man crush type adore, he is just awesome! I also see the best chronic pain doctor in the DFW area. Today while visiting my pain doc he noticed that I was again on my knee walker as I had my last surgery (an arthroscope) two weeks ago. He took me aside and told me he loves my Ortho Doctor too, but he wants me to see what he says is the best Ortho trauma doc in the region. As he put it, the surgeries are going to continue the RSD will spread and I am looking at being on the meds he prescribes for the foreseeable future (it has been well over two years already). As he put it I should seriously start considering amputation as a viable alternative to more ankle surgery.

I should note my current Ortho Doctor talked to me about a complete ankle replacement being in my future, but he doesn't want to do it now because I am too young and it wouldn't last a lifetime.

As an engineer, I seriously scratch my head and wonder if I am just slapping band aids on the issue rather than going for a true "fix". As a knowledge worker, I rely on my brain to get things done, and a life of being medicated isn't an alternative, however if I don't medicate, my functionality drops drastically.

I am just kind of throwing this out into the ether and would love ANY thoughts or feedback.

Thanks in advance!
    Scott

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply

Tags
    amputation, arthrodesis, rsd