It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Amputation / Prosthetic Message Board

BKA Recovery

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-05-2018, 03:43 PM   #1
mammalu
(female)

mammalu HB Usermammalu HB User
BKA Recovery

Hi,
trying to work things out in my head. I have had 2 ankle fusions. The 2nd was a sub talar done 8 months ago. I now have increasing pain and a bone scan showed unstable fusion, even tho all x-rays say it's good. Having a CT scan next week and then seeing Dr. I don't think I want to go through a revision surgery. I am beginning to think that a BKA may be my eventual option, and I am o.k. with this. Anything to stop the pain. My concern is that we have a big overseas trip booked starting in early July. This was booked over a year ago. What I want to know is, is there enough time to recover if I have this. All opinions would be appreciated. I want to be able to walk unaided for most of the time. We will doing a road trip for 3 weeks sightseeing, then a cruise. I have a good wheelchair which I will be taking, but I want to be able to walk for most of the day. Just gentle stuff. As it is I can only walk for about 1hr, then I am stuffed for the rest of the day. .

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2018, 11:24 PM   #2
mayflowers888
(female)

mayflowers888 HB User
Re: BKA Recovery

Possible, but it depends on the surgery and how soon you could recover. I had my bi-lateral below the knee amputation done in early March and went to New York and Boston in the summer the same year. It was tough. I started fitting for the first pair of prosthetic 6 weeks after the surgery, and I heard that was the earliest possible. It took me quite a while just to stand up. Cause it needs to use different muscle groups, and even worse, at the beginning I knew it hurts, but didn't know exactly why and where is the problem. The first 6 month - 1 year was a lot harder than I expected. But eventually you'll get there. I now can pretty much go anywhere I want, this is close to 3 years later.
Take care ..

Old 01-26-2018, 11:57 PM   #3
mayflowers888
(female)

mayflowers888 HB User
Re: BKA Recovery

Possible, but it depends on the surgery and how soon/well you could recover.
I had bi-lateral BTK surgery in early March, and flew to New York then Boston in summer. I started fitting for the first pair of prosthetic 6 weeks after the surgery, and I was told that was the earliest possible. The first 6 month - 1 year was a lot harder than I expected. I wasn't able to stand-up first time I got the prosthetic, partially because it's not comfortable/hurts, partially because it's using different muscle groups. It needs lots of exercise, practice, and patient ...

Take care

Reply Reply