It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Amputation / Prosthetic Message Board

• amputation question

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-24-2003, 06:13 PM   #1
    Jeannene

Jeannene HB User
    amputation question

Does anyone have links to boards on amputations, or prosthetics? My husband is scheduled for a below-the-knee amputation Friday, and I need to know more about it. Thanks for all the time!
    Jeannene

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-24-2003, 06:16 PM   #2
    sharon1030
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sharon1030 HB User
    Re: amputation question

Hi Jeannene,

I'm sorry to hear about your husband. Have you tried going to a search engine and typing in amputation? That's what I would do. Good luck to you and your husband.

Sharon

Old 12-24-2003, 06:24 PM   #3
    Jeannene

Jeannene HB User

Hi Sharon -
    That's about all I've been doing, and that's how I found this board.
    Jeannene

Old 12-24-2003, 07:15 PM   #4
    Mommyof4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mommyof4 HB User

I don't know if this will help much. You can go to google and type in "below the knee amputation" then go to a site that talks about trans tibial amputation. I am so sorry to hear that he is having to go through this. I wish you both the best of luck

Old 12-24-2003, 07:25 PM   #5
    Eagle
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Eagle HB UserEagle HB UserEagle HB User
    Gangrene?

Does he have gangrene? If it isn't that urgent, why not ask your doctors if he could try the new low-carb Atkins diet, and see the forum about it, a support group. I'll look up the URL and edit it in, soon as I post this. Peoples' blood sugar plummets. If there's time, you've got to try it before doing something so drastic and irreversable.

I heard of a guy with leg ulcers who had to have a skin transplant or two, but kept going and he healed. You did get a 2nd and maybe 3rd opinion? What a Christmas!

Old 12-25-2003, 09:17 AM   #6
    Jeannene

Jeannene HB User
    Re: Gangrene?

Yes, he does have gangrene. It's mainly in the foot (toe amputated on the 9th, cellulitis developed right away, etc etc) They did a vascular assessment and came up with nothing to tap into with a bypass, so are recommending below-the-knee as 1) the best place to be fitted with a prosthesis 2) above the are where the vascular system disintegrates, and 3) above where they believe the upper range of the infection sits.

He's also on peritoneal dialysis and the nephrologist was in the room when these discussions took place, and she concurred. I also asked for another opinion (no other surgeon within range), so ended up with an internist that also concurred.

Surgery is scheduled for 8am Friday

Jeannene

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eagle
    Does he have gangrene? If it isn't that urgent, why not ask your doctors if he could try the new low-carb Atkins diet, and see the forum about it, a support group. I'll look up the URL and edit it in, soon as I post this. Peoples' blood sugar plummets. If there's time, you've got to try it before doing something so drastic and irreversable.

I heard of a guy with leg ulcers who had to have a skin transplant or two, but kept going and he healed. You did get a 2nd and maybe 3rd opinion? What a Christmas!

Old 12-26-2003, 05:20 PM   #7
    Jeannene

Jeannene HB User
    Well the deed is done

Yes, he did have gangrene setting in - surgery was this morning & all docs seem quite pleased with it - hopeful for a good recovery. They'll get him up tomorrow and start rehab.
    Thanks for all the suggestions & comments - I truly do appreciate it.

Jeannene

Old 12-26-2003, 05:22 PM   #8
    Jeannene

Jeannene HB User

Yes, he did have gangrene - and the surgery was done this morning. Docs are all pleased and hopeful for a full recovery. Will be up & into rehab tomorrow.
    Thanks for the comments & suggestions
    Jeannene

Old 12-26-2003, 06:46 PM   #9
    sharon1030
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sharon1030 HB User
    Smile Re: amputation question

Hi Jeannene,

I'm happy to hear that your husband's surgery went well and is over now. Good luck to both of you.

Sharon

Old 12-26-2003, 07:04 PM   #10
    Eagle
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Yeah, me too. One would have to be awfully brave to go through something like that, I'd think. Maybe he'd known somebody who went through it before, and/or had time to get used to the idea, or fear of the gangrene was worse. I know you must be exhausted. Good luck, and please keep us posted.

Old 12-27-2003, 03:41 PM   #11
    Jeannene

Jeannene HB User

Thanks to both of you. This is a different type of board, so I wasn't finding my posts, or your responses. Think I got it figured out now. Yes, we know of someone who had multiple, progressive amputations prior to death from this nasty disease. It has always been on the back of my hub's mind that he might lose a leg.
    They got him up this morning, but this afternoon he didn't have the strength to try to stand. Hopefully tomorrow.
    Thanks for the support and encouragement - I need it more than I want to admit.
    Jeannene

Old 12-27-2003, 03:49 PM   #12
    Mommyof4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mommyof4 HB User

Glad to hear that he is doing well. I think it rests in the back of everyone's mind when they are dealing with diabetes. I guess we all need to focus on taking better care of ourselves.

I hope tomorrow he will have more strength and his spirits will be up. He sounds like a trooper!! Please know that you can come here anytime as we all need support sometimes. This affects you also and we are here for you as best we can be. Good luck to both of you

Old 12-27-2003, 06:03 PM   #13
    Eagle
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

That's very well said Mommy of 4. I too was thinking his spirits will be up more later. I'll bet Christmas Day was rough on this couple.

Jeannene, we're thinking about you while going about our routine. At least I am. I have another friend who's having surgery Monday, tripped over a curb in a parking lot, is always getting hairline fractures, her l. elbow this time, and it's hard for her to type with one hand so I don't know what they'll do Monday. I told her about you guys too. Her young adult son died a few years ago, and
    I suspect that has something to do with her accident-proneness, I kid her about quite a lot, always say "take care" now, not just a figure of speech anymore. I hesitate to bring up the surely-painful subject of the son, at least until the surgery's over and she's on the mend.

Yeah, diabetes is a sneaky disease, even Type 2. Hang in there!

Old 12-27-2003, 06:39 PM   #14
    sharon1030
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sharon1030 HB User
    Smile Re: amputation question

Hi Everyone,

Jeannene, I am also thinking of you and your husband. Keep us posted on his progress. I totally agree with Mindy about this being hard on you too. I always say that sometimes, it's harder to see your loved ones suffer than it is to be the one doing the suffering. I truly believe that and I've had my share of suffering. Don't forget to take care of yourself too. I know it's too easy to forget yourself when you're going through something like this.

Sharon

Old 12-28-2003, 08:09 AM   #15
    Jeannene

Jeannene HB User

Thanks to all - I know that I don't take as good of care of myself as I should, and I'm not good about letting people help me. But, we've got some small remodelling projects going on here in the house that I can't do by myself, The house is a wreck (even worse than usual for this rotten housekeeper) I'm going to ask around for a 1 or 2-day carpenter to come put my project together, and might even have a maid service come in to help me clean sometime this week. Today's our 29th anniversary. Wynne doesn't want to do anything for it until he's out of the hospital and we can go somewhere nice for dinner. I'm thinking if I can get these projects out of the way, will be nicer for Wynne. And, as his wife, I'm also realizing that he'll feel bad if I hire someone to do what he and I were planning to do together - can't win for losing, huh?

Closed Thread