It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Amputation / Prosthetic Message Board

• Amputation of arthrodised knee in m.s patient?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-08-2006, 06:56 AM   #1
    Emma73
    (female)

Emma73 HB User
    Amputation of arthrodised knee in m.s patient?

I am a 33 year old m.s patient, but I also suffer from severe hypermobility syndrome too.

10 years ago (before being diagnosed) I ruptured my posterior and anterior crutiate ligaments in my right knee. The end result was an arthrodesis (fusion) of my knee. At the time it was a fantastic result. I led a normal life, and still climbed, walked and did loads of normal things. Then I got ill with m.s. It affects the whole left side at the mo, but my balance is really bad, partly to do with the fusion on opersite side.

Because of this, I spend a lot of time in the wheelchair, and because I'm tall having the straight leg has become problematic. When my movement is limited, it's hard to dress lying down, or even in the chair, and it takes me longere to be able to stand upright. A lot of things in my life would be so much better without the straight leg now, and I have been speaking to my g.p about the possibility of amputating it. I would love to hear from anyone who may have encountered anything like this, who could perhaps help me make my decision.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2007, 03:36 PM   #2
    megster347
    (female)

megster347 HB User
    Re: Amputation of arthrodised knee in m.s patient?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Emma73 View Post

I am a 33 year old m.s patient, but I also suffer from severe hypermobility syndrome too.

10 years ago (before being diagnosed) I ruptured my posterior and anterior crutiate ligaments in my right knee. The end result was an arthrodesis (fusion) of my knee. At the time it was a fantastic result. I led a normal life, and still climbed, walked and did loads of normal things. Then I got ill with m.s. It affects the whole left side at the mo, but my balance is really bad, partly to do with the fusion on opersite side.

Because of this, I spend a lot of time in the wheelchair, and because I'm tall having the straight leg has become problematic. When my movement is limited, it's hard to dress lying down, or even in the chair, and it takes me longere to be able to stand upright. A lot of things in my life would be so much better without the straight leg now, and I have been speaking to my g.p about the possibility of amputating it. I would love to hear from anyone who may have encountered anything like this, who could perhaps help me make my decision.
    Hi- I'm almost 23 and have undergone 17 operations on my knee in the past 3 years due to recurring infeciton. Ontop of that I was diagnosed with MS when I was 19. I was wondering how you have coped with having your joint fused and having MS at the same time because the options given to me at this point are either to fuse my knee or to try a replacement and see what happens. If that replacement got infected I'd have to either get it fused or amputated. My concern over the fusion is balance trouble associated with MS since I have fallen in the past quite a few times as well as what happens if I end up in a wheelchair with a fused leg, that can not be easy to deal with. I was hoping to find out what your insight is into all of this.... thanks
    -Meg

Closed Thread