It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Amputation / Prosthetic Message Board

• Possible amputation of lower leg, any hints?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-10-2007, 04:07 PM   #1
    J S Machine
    (male)

J S Machine HB User
    Possible amputation of lower leg, any hints?

I have had very bad trauma to my lower right leg for about 7 years now. Both problems stem from two different motorcycle wrecks and the most recent one happenned about 2 months ago.

I am healing now from breaking both bones in my lower leg. I broke my tib right across the ankle joint and the fib a little higher up. I now have a total of about 13 screws, a rod, 9 pins, and numerous staples.

The skin on my lower leg is in bad shape because of circulation. My tib was broken at the top in the first accident and ruptured the artery that supplies the lower leg. A vein graft fixed this but caused circulation issues.

Since I have poor circulation and very bad skin, I am pretty much at a point now where operations to fix the ongoing problems are kind of very risky. i.e. infection and healing issues. The doctor suggested amputation from below the knee down and I told him I would like to get more info on the idea. I am not afraid of this, as I have a pretty good idea that I will be able to walk close to 100% with a prostetic. What I am afraid of is the down time. In other words what is the recovery time on this kind of thing. Anybody had this type of situation? Does anyone know of any good sources of info on this?

The Following User Says Thank You to J S Machine For This Useful Post:
    CindiDean (12-13-2010)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2007, 02:43 PM   #2
    wtwct
    (female)

wtwct HB User
    Re: Possible amputation of lower leg, any hints?

Wow, sorry for injury. You have been thru a lot. We have a person here at work who's brother had an amputation due to a motorcycle accident. She could not remember how long it took him. Maybe two or three months. She said that you cannot tell he has a prosthetic device. He barely has a limp.

I have been talked to from the Dr. about amputation. (I am going to try the repair first). They sent me information: Book, video about it. The book said that after the amputation, you have to massage your leg so that it gets use to touch. You need to do this so that you can wear the device.

The book is called "Your not alone".

deleted

I know what you mean about the circulation. I hardly have any circulation to my left foot.

Last edited by Administrator; 04-30-2007 at 04:52 PM. Reason: book title and author, only

Old 04-11-2007, 02:49 PM   #3
    wtwct
    (female)

wtwct HB User

deleted

I thought I was at the acceptance point of my amputation but, I lost it again. I am going to try the reconstruction. Never Give Up.

Last edited by Administrator; 04-30-2007 at 04:50 PM. Reason: do not post website info

Old 04-13-2007, 05:02 AM   #4
    jprinz99
    Veteran
    (female)

jprinz99 HB User

I would also recommend two other things (just an idea from knowing three other amputees)

Insist on a rehab program, usually an inpatient program, possibly at a rehabilition center (search your state's programs). My friends said this made all the difference

Go find someone at your local paraolympics or disabled sports program, or even the VA. Might even have a support group in your area. Talking to someone who has "been there" should give you a lot of ideas on what to expect IE: recovery time/good resources/companies etc

jane

Last edited by Administrator; 04-30-2007 at 04:50 PM. Reason: if a word is asyerisked, edit to use a different one

Closed Thread