It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Amputation / Prosthetic Message Board

• Coping with amputation

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-09-2008, 02:00 PM   #1
    NeilJ
    (male)

NeilJ HB User
    Coping with amputation

My girlfriend was recently involved in a serious car accident and lost her right leg. At first we were told she may not walk again but now the doctors are hopeful that she will. She is really depressed after losing her leg and doesn't want to go out where people can see her. Has anyone been through amputation? Will her feelings change with time? Is there anything I can do/say to help her?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2010, 04:48 PM   #2
    brahma5
    (male)

brahma5 HB User
    Re: Coping with amputation

I have had my left leg below the knee amputated three years ago. I was able to accept my condition. I get around in a wheelchair. Three things that help me out are the internet, food and my dog. Once a week I find myself going out and eating more donuts than I should.

Old 06-09-2010, 04:36 PM   #3
    brahma5
    (male)

brahma5 HB User

I think her feelings will change in time. It took me months too accept my amputation. The best thing, IMO, is to be there for her. Be as supportive as possible.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:13 PM   #4
    steffiegirl
    (female)

steffiegirl HB User

hi neil this is the hardest thing to go through especially when it is someone you love so much and watching them not being able to cope, i know what you are going through. 8 yrs ago my girlfriend had a btk done and it was one of the hardest things ever to go through and watch her. she lost her left leg due to a blood clot. after a month of horrible pain and doctors not listening cause she knew she had a clot and also could feel it moving down to her foot. finally on new years eve in 2000 she went to the hospital i was working and her foot was totally white and ice cold. then she went to the E.R and they yelled at her why she didnt come up sooner, anyways we have gotten through it and like i said it has been hard on the both of us. cause also from all the pills she got put on after she ended up gaining weight from the nuerotin (sp) but i still love her with all my heart. you just keep on loving her no matter what or says how she feels. she will be depressed it happens but tell her everyday that you love her and that she is so beautiful to you. if you ever need anyone to talk to cause i know how hard this is for you just message me anytime or if she needs someone i will be here. good luck and remember you guys can get through anything.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:48 PM   #5
    DaMaster
    (male)

DaMaster HB User

Hello i have had a prosthetic for going on 8 years now and im still weiry of people knowing about it i have got to where you cant tell i have one and i never wear shorts no matter what!!! But thats just me my Wifes step dad has had a prosthetic for 28 years and he wears shorts and he is in a wake boarding team hes really good but thats just me like the guy at the bottom said show her love and support for whatever she does and that will be the best thing for the both of you and i hope all goes well

Closed Thread