HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Amputation / Prosthetic (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/amputation-prosthetic/)
-   -   Below Knee Amputation (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/amputation-prosthetic/710443-below-knee-amputation.html)

A Huter 10-02-2011 07:16 PM

Re: Below Knee Amputation

[QUOTE=Sputs;4272179]Have you gotten any of your questions answered? I am a 51 year old male that has been an below the knee for 40 years and would love to answer your questions if you still have some? My name is Kenny.[/QUOTE]
Hi Kenny, I hope you can answer my ?. Had my bk amputation about 5 months ago and am trying to learn how to walk up steep hill so I can rake it.I love doing outside work and after getting out of wheel chair ready to do some yard work.I do hope you can help solve this for me.I am in pt right at the moment just started but they are working on strengthening my left leg first due to complete knee replacement and that leg they say is too weak so they are working on this now so any answer would be greatly appreciated.

APC 10-03-2011 10:39 PM

Hi A Huter,

It's a plesure to hear how well you are doing with all that has happend. Can I ask how old you are and the nature of your injuries. I'm having quite a struggle moving forward with my recovery. At first the drs. were pro bk amputation, as was I for the better lifestyle, but now they are saying it's a bad idea. Their main points are because I've had chronic pain for so many years now, that I would somehow suffer from extreme phantom limb pain so much so that I wouldn't be able to wear a new leg... also because I would most likely need a knee replacement soon, they told me the replacement wouldn't support a bk amp... so I would have to have an ak amputation.
If I'm in so much pain now being in a wheelchair and having a very poor life for myself and family, I fail to understand why they wouldn't allow me to have the surgery and improve my way of life as you know....

[QUOTE=A Huter;4853955]hello Apc....haven't had my leg but for about 5 months and my dr. said yes i could get it wet can get in pool.I have just started my therapy.I am looking for the answer on how to walk up steep hill so I can rake it.I was down in wheel chair for 3 years ....had complete knee replacement and foot dr. said he could get do surgery on right foot and make better but of course it wasn't meant to be.So after 5 surgeries on right leg finally got amputated and best thing I could have done.Can't keep me down now.Still problem with knowing how to address steep hills. I Love yard work but can't do much at a time have to wait to get endurance back.Wish you all the luck in the world[/QUOTE]

Jeron38 02-19-2012 07:20 PM

G day.. I'm 38 with a BKA ( Below Knee Amputation ).. I have found that there are varying scales as to how long you can wear a prosthetic or even if they can fit one for you. It all depends on your healing which takes time and exercising the amputated area. Will you get phantom pains etc. You must have a strong will after the operation and good support for aiding you to be able to walk normally again.
Reading on I would find a prosthetic consultant to help you in letting you know all the different outcomes before you go thru with either amputee surgery as that could end up being either detrimental to you and your family.

Best of luck and hope all works out well for you and your family

hurricanesandy 07-18-2012 09:48 PM

I am 51 yrs old and just had my leg amputated below the knee (just recently learned it is abbreviated "BTK". Makes sense but a whole bunch doesn't! The op was June 11, 13 and 15. Initial amputation, pathology then a little more taken and debreeding, last surgery the "flap". I saw the ortho today and the final stitches and staples came out. YEAH! I can take a frigen shower. I received a script for my shrink stockings and doc says it will still be another 6 wks for prosthetic. I'm a very impatient and stubborn woman and wish it could happen sooner but will go with the flow, I guess.
Although my Dad was a double amputee (he has been deceased 21 yrs now), he didn't share a whole lot about what to expect as he didn't know that this daughter would inherit his disease (Buerger's).
The physical pain I've gone through when this fiasco started in March was tough but the emotional aspect is another story. Most days I am just fine. Other days I hate myself because I feel sorry for myself. I'm a very positive person and believe I have a good attitude but damn is it tough to figure out how I'm going to live the rest of my life without my leg.
Kudos to everyone that has managed to maintain a positive and good attitude as I wonder some days just how the hell I'm gonna do it!

Jeron38 07-19-2012 12:08 AM

Hey there,
You are not the only one out there who inherited and I can understand completely. Not only did I have the BTK I got a deadly form of MRSA so I was being treated with the wrong meds and then a piece of bone broke away and was sticking out my leg so they put me back in and went above knee in May this year. If your stubborn that's good but don't fight your rehab. Some heal faster than others and also depends on how well your surgeon fixed you up. The main thing is never to let it get at you and in one way I saw it as I see more of the world everyday than when I had 2 healthy legs. Everyone deals with the process different but keep looking forward and challenge yourself everyday to accomplish the exercises.Find ways to enhance your getting a new prosthetic leg. Good Luck and hope you are able to get up again sooner rather than later.

Jeron38 07-19-2012 12:09 AM

Hey there,
You are not the only one out there who inherited and I can understand completely. Not only did I have the BTK I got a deadly form of MRSA so I was being treated with the wrong meds and then a piece of bone broke away and was sticking out my leg so they put me back in and went above knee in May this year. If your stubborn that's good but don't fight your rehab. Some heal faster than others and also depends on how well your surgeon fixed you up. The main thing is never to let it get at you and in one way I saw it as I see more of the world everyday than when I had 2 healthy legs. Everyone deals with the process different but keep looking forward and challenge yourself everyday to accomplish the exercises.Find ways to enhance your getting a new prosthetic leg. Good Luck and hope you are able to get up again sooner rather than later.

rcombs22 07-09-2016 02:17 PM

[QUOTE=Sputs;4272179]Have you gotten any of your questions answered? I am a 51 year old male that has been an below the knee for 40 years and would love to answer your questions if you still have some? My name is Kenny.[/QUOTE]
Here's one.....and thanks!
Had my lower left leg amputated in 2006......and boy do I hope you have an answer! Every time I urinate, my penis and the ball of my foot and toes I no longer posess, burn like I stepped in lava and stuck the head of my penis in with it. It happens during sex, too. I haven't finished that act in 11 years. It hurts too bad. Like someone hooked a battery to me.
I've taken every kind of drug imaginable. Nothing helps. It's like when they put my nerves back in somehow they reconnected wrong. Every time phantom pain shows its ugly head with those withering, searing burning sensations, same thing.

HELP ANYONE!