It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Amputation / Prosthetic Message Board

• ankle fusion or amputation

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-12-2010, 11:09 PM   #1
    Broken Bones
    (male)

Broken Bones HB User
    ankle fusion or amputation

Hello I have never posted before but am wondering if anyone is in a similar situation as me.I was in a motorcycle accident about six years ago and had my leg severed off at my ankle and broke about 34 bones.Doctors were able to screw my leg back together and after returning to work my ankle drifted apart and now have a non union in my ankle.All this time the wound never healed and i became very ill so they removed all the screws in my leg thinking i had a bad reaction to the screws being in my body.I have been in alot of pain for the last 6 years and don't know what to do seems like ankle fusion does not always last and i want something that will take some abuse am I wrong to think about prostetic.Any advice from some one in a similar situation would help .Thanks Kurt

The Following User Says Thank You to Broken Bones For This Useful Post:
    boxerc1 (10-31-2010)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2010, 01:02 PM   #2
    Vegas Vic
    (male)

Vegas Vic HB User
    Re: ankle fusion or amputation

Similar situation in a thread 1 day earlier.

Old 02-14-2010, 12:27 PM   #3
    Zerk
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User

I can't help you with the foot. But I sure would think long and hard. But I do ride. Made it back on my back at less then 4 months, from bad car wreck that put shattered calcaneous and talus one side and broke my femur in for on the other.

Buddy drove 4 hours to be my spotter if I dropped. before that I was looking into sidecars and trikes.

If its your right foot they have proportional valves for breaking, ties your front and rear together. Sounds weird, but I guess there doing it on some factory bikes now. If your left, could do a suide shifter.

For myself, right foot, I find bikes with floorboards and brake pedals easier, then pegs. Though maybe I could adjust brake or getting longer lever, to make it easier.

Old 02-14-2010, 12:30 PM   #4
    Zerk
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User

Speaking from my bowels, I didn't have surgery, but I would fuse, thinking you could always cut it off later. My doc did mention sometimes amputation will get you back to a normal life quicker. But I sure glad I got my foot still. Best of luck to you.

Old 04-07-2010, 11:13 AM   #5
    Nokomis
    (female)

Nokomis HB User

I had my fusion 43 years ago! I don't think they did things as well, then, as they do now.
    I had a severe infection after an auto accident. The wound was still unhealed after 10 months. That's when I had the fusion.
    A doctor recently told me he could do surgery to straighten my foot but I would be in more pain due to arthritis at the injury site. I decided not to have anything done.

Don't wait as long as I did to get help.

Choose your physician wisely!!
    Good luck...

Last edited by Nokomis; 04-07-2010 at 11:19 AM.

Old 08-29-2010, 10:47 PM   #6
    Merciette
    (female)

Merciette HB User

Thank you for your post. I was thinking I was crazy for even suggesting amputation. I am curious how you are doing and what you have decided. I have heard it is quite impossible to get a dr to amputate...grrrrr.

Old 09-10-2010, 02:18 PM   #7
    Pixie333
    (female)

Pixie333 HB User

Hi there,

Im from the Uk and I had various ankle operations over 24 years culminating in several fusions the last one put my ankle completely solid 10 years ago. They grafted from my hips 3 times. All was manageable for 8 years, although I kept worrying about what it was doing to my hips and knees as I was slightly shorter in one leg and I already had lower spine fusion.

I tried a rocker shoe but it gave me knee problems so without much pain in the ankle I just used an adapted gait. I did well and had 2 children in the meantime. Two years ago the pain started again in my ankle and now I find I cant go out without crutches or a wheelchair.

Ive seen the surgeons and they have said there is nothing more they can do constructively for me apart from mending my tibia that has a non union. I am being sent to see the amputation guys and meeting with amputees.

So in my experience even though I had a number of years managing not too bad.....what would I have done? Well over the years I have had over 30 ops to that ankle. I had the main fusions done within 2 years of each other. I now find my hip joint is in trouble, my tibia is broke and there are signs of stress fractures going up the leg.

So I went through all that, put more strain on my other joints just to get to the age of 41 and find myself facing an amputation.

From what the surgeons have told me I feel I would have been better off having the amputation years back.

I was told by the hospital that because there are so many youngsters coming back from the war zones with lost legs, prosthetics have advanced fast.

Its a hard thing to face especially with other joint problems but I don't want to live on a cocktail of pills, looking at my kids playing from the chair in the lounge or the car seat.

Its time for me to be the six million dollar woman....yes I am showing my age...LOL

Sharon

Old 09-10-2010, 09:38 PM   #8
    Zerk
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Merciette View Post
    Thank you for your post. I was thinking I was crazy for even suggesting amputation. I am curious how you are doing and what you have decided. I have heard it is quite impossible to get a dr to amputate...grrrrr.
    My doctor is actually the one who brought it up. Said the goal is to get you back to a normal life. But like I said, I would exhaust my options first.

It would be nice to know what people did. This comes up once in awhile on here, but we never know what they decided.

Old 09-21-2010, 08:16 PM   #9
    rod885
    (male)

rod885 HB User

Hi I had a pantalar fusion done five years ago which is the fusion of four joints including the ankle joint. I am glad I did it I was in a lot of pain from arthritis. I was 45 years old when i had it done. I had some pain in the front of my foot when wearing regular shoes or rocker bottom shoes that I had made. I recently bought some skecher shape ups and they have been wonderful. no more pain in the foot and I walk with a regular gait again. I do very physical work and am able to continue to work. I also was told to consider amputation but it would have been a very big mistake.

Old 10-18-2010, 01:15 PM   #10
    Merciette
    (female)

Merciette HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pixie333 View Post
    Hi there,

Im from the Uk and I had various ankle operations over 24 years culminating in several fusions the last one put my ankle completely solid 10 years ago. They grafted from my hips 3 times. All was manageable for 8 years, although I kept worrying about what it was doing to my hips and knees as I was slightly shorter in one leg and I already had lower spine fusion.

I tried a rocker shoe but it gave me knee problems so without much pain in the ankle I just used an adapted gait. I did well and had 2 children in the meantime. Two years ago the pain started again in my ankle and now I find I cant go out without crutches or a wheelchair.

Ive seen the surgeons and they have said there is nothing more they can do constructively for me apart from mending my tibia that has a non union. I am being sent to see the amputation guys and meeting with amputees.

So in my experience even though I had a number of years managing not too bad.....what would I have done? Well over the years I have had over 30 ops to that ankle. I had the main fusions done within 2 years of each other. I now find my hip joint is in trouble, my tibia is broke and there are signs of stress fractures going up the leg.

So I went through all that, put more strain on my other joints just to get to the age of 41 and find myself facing an amputation.

From what the surgeons have told me I feel I would have been better off having the amputation years back.

I was told by the hospital that because there are so many youngsters coming back from the war zones with lost legs, prosthetics have advanced fast.

Its a hard thing to face especially with other joint problems but I don't want to live on a cocktail of pills, looking at my kids playing from the chair in the lounge or the car seat.

Its time for me to be the six million dollar woman....yes I am showing my age...LOL

Sharon
    This is very helpful information! It is such a hard decision to make!!!

Old 10-18-2010, 01:20 PM   #11
    Merciette
    (female)

Merciette HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zerk View Post
    My doctor is actually the one who brought it up. Said the goal is to get you back to a normal life. But like I said, I would exhaust my options first.

It would be nice to know what people did. This comes up once in awhile on here, but we never know what they decided.
    Thank you Zerk...I will definitely keep you all posted as well. Right now I am working with orthodics and rocker bottom shoes to put off any form of surgery. I have the catscan and am able to really look at how big a cavity is inside that bone...I am not sure how they think packing hip bone in there will work...to me it is like filling a hole with glue and expecting it to dry...lol! To fuse and to fill that hole just seems impossible...and then to lose another 3/4 inch...I am not sure I am up for that...the amputation just seems more sure and weirdly enough, less invasive. I really need to talk to people who have had the amputation done to find out all the cons.

Last edited by Merciette; 10-18-2010 at 01:23 PM.

Old 10-18-2010, 06:05 PM   #12
    Zerk
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Myself, I would put off the surgery too, I am not good with commitment.

Old 02-10-2011, 02:12 PM   #13
    Kman919
    (male)

Kman919 HB User

Amputation can cause severe long term pain. I would see at least three different orthopedic surgens and they can assess how to deal with your pain.

Closed Thread