It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Amputation / Prosthetic Message Board

• thinking about foot amputation

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-12-2010, 02:38 PM   #1
    djk878
    (male)

djk878 HB User
    thinking about foot amputation

First post,here's a brief discription.2006 i had a triple arthrodesis,which failed,2007 a re-do of the triple,repair of several nerves,ligaments,etc.2008 a total ankle replacement.2008 ankle and foot feel like they did in 2006,severe pain and swelling,ankle component fixed to my tibia has moved and is loose,still have severe nerve and ligament problems in foot and ankle.I have seen a new doctor and the subject of a below the knee amputation has been discused along with a replacement of the existing ankle jointIn the past few weeks since my doctors visit i have been researching BTK amputations and also have been reading up on the Syme amputation.I have just about come to the conclusion that if my doctor can't tell me that a new ankle replacement and any reconstruction of the foot and ankle can solve my problems then i will choose the amputation.I have been reading up on all types of prostethics and have spoken to a couple of amputee's who haved been a huge help.I'm 53 years old and i'm just tired of all the pain and discomfort.I would just like to be able to get from point A to point B with out any pain.Let me know what your opinions are,please don't be afraid to speak your mind,be honest.I need as nuch advice as possible.Thanks.

Last edited by djk878; 07-12-2010 at 02:39 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to djk878:
    srvinme (12-16-2010)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2010, 01:36 PM   #2
    mellowfish
    Veteran
    (female)

mellowfish HB User
    Re: thinking about foot amputation

Keep talking to others, that may be your biggest resource in making a decision. My dad is an amputee, so I can only speak of his experience, which may or may not be helpful to you. His major problems are atherosclerosis and unmanaged diabetes... his amputation came after numerous attempts to restore circulation to his leg after a vein harvest for heart surgery, he was amputated just below the hip.

He did suffer incredible pain for years in that leg from having neuropathy. While initially he did have some residual pain and "phantom" feelings, most of his pain issues with that leg have disappeared, what discomfort he does get pales compared to what he felt before. Apart from his other lingering health issues, he feels that having to lose his leg was completely worth the trade-off for getting rid of debilitating pain. He had numerous surgeries that only caused more pain and proved not to be the least bit "curative," the amputation put an end to that cycle and allowed him to move on with significantly less pain.

I also have a friend who in the last few years had to have a BTK amputation due to a deep non-healing infection in the ankle/lower leg. He loves his prosthetic and does great, to see him you wouldn't know that he's an amputee. He also has a very healthy mental outlook, and was initially accepting of his amputation.

I think that your level of dedication to the rehabilitation needed after an amputation surgery has a lot to do with the outcome of living with a prosthetic limb. Your support network of friends and family will also make a big difference too. I wish you the best of luck for whatever you decide.

Last edited by mellowfish; 07-29-2010 at 01:44 PM.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:10 PM   #3
    bubbah
    (female)

bubbah HB User

Nothing is better than the original equipment you were born with. Permanent nerve block, but you could not test the bath water temp with that foot. Are the doctors you are working with orthopedic surgeons or podiatrists? Orthopedic surgeons would be my choice. I am going into surgery for my 2nd knee replacement this fall. Hope you are doing better with some pain pills. Barb

Old 08-31-2010, 06:54 AM   #4
    Bruijn
    (female)

Bruijn HB User

Before you do that. It sounds like the swelling is due to poor circulation and inflammation. Try to get the circulation going again and some natural anti-inflammatory tablet. This may be all you need to get the foot in working order again.

I hope this helps let me know how you get on, or if you need any more help.

Bruijn

Closed Thread