It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Amputation / Prosthetic Message Board

• Nervous about becoming a BTK amputee

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 11-12-2014, 10:29 AM   #1
    AlbinoGuy
    (male)

AlbinoGuy HB User
    Nervous about becoming a BTK amputee

First hello all! I am 35 years old, and about to have a Ertl BTK in the next few weeks. I had a log fall on top of me 20 years ago when I was logging with my dad. It crushed my foot,broke my leg, and dislocated my knee. The pain had been horrible for these 20 years it took my teenage years away form me things I couldn't do. Now as a adult the pain and swelling has got so bad that I can't stand it anymore. When it gets bad I am bed ridden for a week at a time causing me to almost lose my job! I have done allot of research in the last year on this so I went to the OrthoFootAnkle clinic in Columbus OH 2 days ago. Dr. Hyer didn't take 5 min to let me know there was nothing he could do to "fix" or aleavate the pain. The doctor here was going to do a fusion when I had done nerve test as well with a bad outcome see that the fusion would not help bc the nerves are bad. So amputation was my choice and the right one according to my new doctor I seen in Ohio. He let me know at my age that I would adapt allot better and hopefully give me a better quality of life. Have a question has anyone here had this done? I love drive my trans am it's a stick...will I be able to learn to drive it again? I also love to ride my Harley will I have to give these things up? Any feedback would be great and I thank you in advance for read my post and listing to my story.

Last edited by AlbinoGuy; 11-12-2014 at 11:19 AM. Reason: It's in the wrong message board

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2015, 08:54 AM   #2
    fleafly
    (female)

fleafly HB User
    Re: Nervous about becoming a BTK amputee

Hi. I'm so sorry that no one replied to your message. How are you doing? Did you have your amputation? I became a RBKA in Sept. of 2013. I too had run out of options and viewed the amputation as my best option to alleviate pain and get on with my life. I am here to tell you that you will be okay. You should be able to get back to driving and riding your motorcycle. Depending on your situation, you might have to alter your vehicle or your bike, but you WILL be able to return to these activities.

What I would suggest is that you try to find an amputee support group in your area. But if there are none, start one! You'll not only get a lot of support, but you can find answers to all of your questions there. There's no question you could ask that has not been asked before you, so don't be shy.

Don't get discouraged, and don't feel as if your life is going to end. It's not! Honest. Keep a positive attitude. You will need to have a lot of patience, and expect some setbacks. But if you look beyond all the initial adjustments, and keep your eyes focused on the reward (less pain, more mobility, ability to return to activities, etc.) you will come through just fine.

Best of luck to you. Keep us posted.

"The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain." ~ Dolly Parton

Last edited by Administrator; 01-11-2015 at 02:11 PM.

Old 01-11-2015, 04:39 PM   #3
    Diabetic1
    (male)

Diabetic1 HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Nervous about becoming a BTK amputee

AG, I am in the same boat you're in. I had my BTKA done this past Friday, 1/9/15. I too am wanting to be able to drive again and walk again also.
    FLEAFLY, any other input you can give about an amputation is greatly appreciated.

Old 01-11-2015, 08:22 PM   #4
    fleafly
    (female)

fleafly HB User

Where to start, that's the issue. I guess I would begin by telling you that the more you can educate yourself about what you are going through, the better. There are a few books out there about amputation, and others written by amputees. There are magazines related to various aspects of prosthetics, and some of those publications are free. There may be support groups in your area for amputees. Give them a chance. Check with the Amputee Coalition to see if they have peer amputees that could either visit with you or call you on a regular basis. Ask your doctor if he could put you in touch with other amputees. And, if you have a prosthetist already (which I hope you do), ask him or her to help put you in touch with people that could help you.

You're in for a potentially bumpy first year. There's the phantom pain - but it will get better and, with luck, go away. There are days of frustration waiting for your leg to heal enough to finally get to your first prosthesis. But while those days and hours tick away, use them to learn what you can. Becoming familiar with terminology, understand steps involved, making contacts and finding resources to use when you have questions or want more information. These are all invaluable.

And once you get the go-ahead to work with your prosthetist for your first prosthesis, don't be afraid to speak up if something doesn't feel right, doesn't fit properly, or is not functioning as it should. Your partnership with your prosthetist is the one that needs to weather everything. If you are not comfortable with your prosthetist, or if you feel you are not being heard, find another prosthetist. You MUST have a prosthesis that fits properly in order to prevent sores or injury, any of which could keep you out of your leg for a good long while.

The one thing that you may or may not need to work on -- I had to work on it a lot -- is patience. It's true that good things come to those who wait. More specifically, good things come to those who are patient with themselves and with others. There are things beyond our control, like the time it takes to heal, like needing to ask for help, or like needing a new socket because your leg has shrunk. It will take a year - give or take a few months - before your leg stops changing, and until you have a prosthesis that fits you well for an extended period of time. No, there's one more thing you need besides patience. You need a sense of humor. You need to laugh at yourself, laugh at situations you get yourself into, and when the need arrises, just generally have a willingness to let anger, discomfort, and frustrations go. They won't improve your situation, whereas humor and laughing will enrich it.

Be good to yourself. I wish you the best.

"The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain." ~ Dolly Parton

Old 01-21-2015, 01:10 PM   #5
    kingranch
    (male)

kingranch HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AlbinoGuy View Post
    First hello all! I am 35 years old, and about to have a Ertl BTK in the next few weeks. I had a log fall on top of me 20 years ago when I was logging with my dad. It crushed my foot,broke my leg, and dislocated my knee. The pain had been horrible for these 20 years it took my teenage years away form me things I couldn't do. Now as a adult the pain and swelling has got so bad that I can't stand it anymore. When it gets bad I am bed ridden for a week at a time causing me to almost lose my job! I have done allot of research in the last year on this so I went to the OrthoFootAnkle clinic in Columbus OH 2 days ago. Dr. Hyer didn't take 5 min to let me know there was nothing he could do to "fix" or aleavate the pain. The doctor here was going to do a fusion when I had done nerve test as well with a bad outcome see that the fusion would not help bc the nerves are bad. So amputation was my choice and the right one according to my new doctor I seen in Ohio. He let me know at my age that I would adapt allot better and hopefully give me a better quality of life. Have a question has anyone here had this done? I love drive my trans am it's a stick...will I be able to learn to drive it again? I also love to ride my Harley will I have to give these things up? Any feedback would be great and I thank you in advance for read my post and listing to my story.
    you can do it all, I lost both legs in snowmobile accident in 2013, I drive my GT500 Shelby, ride sleds still, good luck

Reply Reply

Tags
    foot and ankle