It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Amputation / Prosthetic Message Board

Considering Elective BTK Amputation.

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-21-2014, 01:40 AM   #1
orion42
(male)

orion42 HB User
Question Considering Elective BTK Amputation.

My name is Steve and I was born with severe bi-lateral club feet. I was fortunate enough to have doctors that were able to fix it so I can walk. However 18 surgeries later (including a bi-lateral fusion when I was 18) and to this day I cannot remember a day where I was not in severe pain in the whole of my life. I have never regularly used pain meds largely due to severe allergies to most of them and also from fear of addiction.

About a year ago a friend asked my why I had never just had my ankles removed mostly as a jest. The idea stuck with me but seemed ludicrous. I mean who would want to cut off their ankles when they can walk right? However tonight after another day of pain I decided to start looking around on the internet. What I found was story upon story of people who had undergone this and now lived full active lives largely pain free.

This was like being punched in the gut for me. Even as I write this I have tears in my eyes as I can't even imagine what it's like to not be in pain. I realize that there are also some definite drawbacks and stories of things going horribly wrong. So I decided to write this out in the hopes of maybe hearing from people. Am I crazy to think about this? Is it silly to get my hopes up that I could have a future without pain?

I am sorry if this comes across as me being melodramatic, but I am sure as many of you who have lived with chronic pain realize. Pain is not an easy thing to deal with.

Much love for you all,
Steve

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2015, 08:49 PM   #2
karlee1010
(female)

karlee1010 HB Userkarlee1010 HB Userkarlee1010 HB Userkarlee1010 HB Userkarlee1010 HB Userkarlee1010 HB Userkarlee1010 HB User
Re: Considering Elective BTK Amputation.

Hi. Welcome to Healthboards. Sure does NOT sound crazy. Noone knows what you're going through but you, and God. The reason I say that is that I had a baby die from SIDS, and people think they know what it's been like, but they don't. Only myself and God knows. I also have alot of back pain from a car accident, and I do take pain meds. I am dependent on them, but, there's a difference between addiction and dependency. This surgery is something that only you can decide the pro's and con's for. You don't seem at all melodramatic either, this is something very serious, and I'm really sorry you have to go through all that. You have a good atitude though. What you said makes alot of sense, and I have faith in you that you'll make the right decision. Please let us know what you decide....

Old 01-21-2015, 02:15 PM   #3
kingranch
(male)

kingranch HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion42 View Post
My name is Steve and I was born with severe bi-lateral club feet. I was fortunate enough to have doctors that were able to fix it so I can walk. However 18 surgeries later (including a bi-lateral fusion when I was 18) and to this day I cannot remember a day where I was not in severe pain in the whole of my life. I have never regularly used pain meds largely due to severe allergies to most of them and also from fear of addiction.

About a year ago a friend asked my why I had never just had my ankles removed mostly as a jest. The idea stuck with me but seemed ludicrous. I mean who would want to cut off their ankles when they can walk right? However tonight after another day of pain I decided to start looking around on the internet. What I found was story upon story of people who had undergone this and now lived full active lives largely pain free.

This was like being punched in the gut for me. Even as I write this I have tears in my eyes as I can't even imagine what it's like to not be in pain. I realize that there are also some definite drawbacks and stories of things going horribly wrong. So I decided to write this out in the hopes of maybe hearing from people. Am I crazy to think about this? Is it silly to get my hopes up that I could have a future without pain?

I am sorry if this comes across as me being melodramatic, but I am sure as many of you who have lived with chronic pain realize. Pain is not an easy thing to deal with.

Much love for you all,
Steve

Old 01-21-2015, 02:30 PM   #4
kingranch
(male)

kingranch HB User

Steve,

I lost my right leg below knee in a snowmobile accident. I was in bad shape, injuries all over my body, ribs, lung, shoulder. put in a coma for a week, woke up they told me my left leg was shot, I did not hesitate I told them remove it, both are gone and Im moving on. I have been lucky, this just happened last winter, I've had a great recovery and was walking on prosthetics 70 days after my accident. Do not spend your life in pain, that was my option, it would of been surgery after surgery they told me. obviously there is a risk involved but it sounds like you have suffered enough and need a break. I honestly do everything I did before, except run, and I will do that again. hope this helps

George

Reply Reply

Tags
below knee amputation, club foot