It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) Message Board

Als?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-30-2017, 08:08 PM   #1
Irene416
(female)

Irene416 HB User
Als?

Hi - Newbie here. I am very familiar w/ALS as my father in law passed away from it back in 1991. Wish he were here to calm me & I could ask him a million questions. Almost a month ago I began experiencing muscle twitching in my right calf. Constant. There when I wake up till when I finally fall asleep. It has migrated into the lower portion of my right thigh, as well as behind my knee (all on right side). Twitches are rhythmic, steady, sometimes feel like electrical buzzing along w/twitching. I of course think my right leg feels weak. I've researched Dr. Google since this started & of course think the worst. Please don't be mean, I am petrified. I told my GP about it (was only about a week after it started as had to go there for another health issue so thought I'd mention it). I was just brushed off & said "it'll go away". Well it hasn't. There are no motor neuron diseases in my family of that I am aware. I've more always worried that my husband will get the familial form of ALS at some point. I am on no medication that would cause this. I have taken all the "by myself" ALS tests i could find on net. I haven't exercised regularly since this started as wondered if I would be aggravating an unknown injury, but I did nothing to myself of that I am aware, nor do I have pain, the twitches themselves aren't painful, but my calf muscle feels "rigid" or "in constant flex" (for lack of a better way to describe it) which is uncomfortable & distracting. I feel like I'm going crazy, God help me. You read "twitches come after muscle weakness" then read "twitches can come first". I don't know what to do. Any advice/help would be appreciated. Don't want to go back to doctor to be brushed off....again. Help me.

Last edited by Irene416; 01-30-2017 at 09:25 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2017, 08:11 PM   #2
Irene416
(female)

Irene416 HB User
Re: Als?

PS - I am 54 y.o. female.

Old 01-31-2017, 11:57 PM   #3
TimAlley
(male)

TimAlley HB UserTimAlley HB User
Re: Als?

Hello Irene,

I am sorry to hear about your symptom. Twitching by itself is diagnostic of nothing.

There are literally thousands of conditions that have twitching as a symptom. As you have probably read, ALS presents most often with a sudden inability to perform a simple task such as turning a key.

The more you read, the more your symptoms will increase. I bet the twitching has increased parallel with your concern.
Stay off Dr. Google, he is a quack.

I understand your concern and am sorry about your father-in-law, but don't sound anything like ALS.

Take care,

James

Reply Reply