It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) Message Board

Als fear consuming my life

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-21-2017, 02:45 PM   #1
chrisriandawson
(male)

chrisriandawson HB User
Als fear consuming my life

Hi all, my names Christian I'm a 21 yo white male. So a year ago I had started feeling weakness in my right hand and I immediately assumed als. It ruined my summer last year. About 3 months later I went to a neurologist and he did an emg which was clean. So I got over it and lived my life for a year however recently I feel as if my symptoms have progressed. My thumb on my right hand begins to get a stiff, locking feeling near the joint if I over use it but it even does it when the hand is at rest. Went to neuro again and he said it sounds more orthopedic but I feel like I've lost so much dexterity in my thumb. If this was als and Ivery had it for a year would it be more noticeable by now? I know at my age it's pretty rare but it does happen. I just want this to be done.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2017, 06:05 PM   #2
sweetpotato13
Senior Veteran
(female)

sweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB User
Re: Als fear consuming my life

Oh, honey. I hate that you are so consumed with this thought, it must be terrible for you.
You are a young man who is obviously in good health, your tests have proven that. I think that you may just have a lot of anxiety. Do you do any exercise? I think it would really help you. Maybe start running, or lift weights. You have a long life ahead of you.... live it!

Old 05-21-2017, 06:14 PM   #3
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

ALS is one of the few tests which can be 100% confirmed or ruled out. If you have seen a neurologist who is not concerned about ALS as a possiblity, you shouldnt be either.

It does sound like you are suffering from some health anxiety and this should be discussed with your primary doctor. You want to avoid going down the road of health anxiety if you can avoid it.

ALS is a very rare disease and you are not complaining of any symptoms which are even remotely linked exclusively to ALS...what you are describing could be anything from an orthopedic situation to a pinched nerve to carpal tunnel...
None of which aren't fixable! Go see the orthopedic doctor as your neuro suggested and let them run some tests. In the meantime, please consider talking to your primary family doctor about your concerns.

Old 05-21-2017, 06:43 PM   #4
chrisriandawson
(male)

chrisriandawson HB User

I know I'm also scared because I've twitched constantly for a year. But the twitching started primarily after I found out that it was a symptom of als. My thumb just feels so clumsy and slow and weak but I feel like if this was als it would be more apparent.

Old 05-22-2017, 03:59 AM   #5
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Go see the ortho. Sounds more like arthritis or something orthopedic. Have you tried an Aleve every day to see if it helps? Lots of simple answers possible here. I'd even try a chiro because it could just be your spine needs adjusting.

Reply Reply