It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) Message Board

18 years old, worried about ALS ?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-22-2017, 12:54 PM   #1
supergeorgedude
(male)

supergeorgedude HB User
18 years old, worried about ALS ?

Hello everyone here. I am sorry if this post comes out stupid, but I am very afraid and certain I might have ALS. I currently cannot go to the doctor, which would be useleys anyway. Here are the symptoms...

- started as mild foot stabs, which would be weekly on and off. Then they converted to eletric sensations. They stopped about 2 weeks ago,but converted to muscle pain. This happens in both feet but mostly my left. Idk if they are cramps but i dont feel much tension in these muscles, but I do feel twitching sometimes. This does not happen in the fingers, but the muscles across the foot and heel. This happens in the calf sometimes and thigh.

- The muscle twithing is just sometimes in my calf, thigh and even the both feet. Might be anxiety maybe ? Happens usually when i think about it, and like twice a day. Started getting them about 2 weeks ago.

- sometimes i get little pain in my biceps. ( i did not have time to workout in the past month so maybe that causes it ?)

- This is the symptoms that convinces me the most and probably started showing signs like 5-6 years ago. When I play a football game i start coughing after and feel a little shortness of breath. It lasts about 10 mins or less. This happens only after heavy footbal games, not casual running or weight lifting. And i woke up the last two nights about every 2 hours and feel exhausted. I did not cough, but feel tired. I think this migh be respinatory progression so i have the worst time possible.

I will appreciate every answer, they will mean so much to me and sorry if it sounds disrespectful but i am very worried 😞.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2017, 04:15 PM   #2
sweetpotato13
Senior Veteran
(female)

sweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB User
Re: 18 years old, worried about ALS ?

You don't sound disrespectful at all! You just sound very worried, and that's okay.
You seem very aware and vigilant about your body. When I was a teenager, I was too.
For me, it was anxiety.
The internet can be a treasure of good information, or it can be a curse, making people think that they have life threatening diseases. Of course, only your doctor can know for sure. What I really hooked onto was that you say that you feel twitching, "WHEN YOU THINK ABOUT IT". That is what makes me believe you are a healthy young man and "just" have anxiety issues.
If you were my son? I would take you to the doctor just for a general exam and blood work, just to prove to you that you are in good health. And then I would encourage you to keep being active, exercising, socializing, and getting your mind off of yourself. Also, if you drink coffee.... don't. It can really ramp up anxiety. Also stay hydrated, since lots of muscle issues can be a lack of hydration.

Anyone who wakes up every two hours during the night would feel exhausted.
Take care, friend.

Last edited by sweetpotato13; 08-22-2017 at 04:17 PM.

Old 08-23-2017, 01:58 AM   #3
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: 18 years old, worried about ALS ?

You sound really anxious...the last thing you need to worry about is ALS right now.
First of all, there is a simple test to test for this disease, but you would need to go to a doctor. Secondly, it would be extremely rare for anyone your age to get it and thirdly- there are 100 other things that your symptoms could be.

Can you go to a doctor for a simple physical? Maybe because you play football, you can use this as a reason to go? I think, if you talked to a doctor about how you have been feeling, a doctor might be able to better direct you and show you that what you are describing is probably nothing more than possibly a pinched nerve in your leg or lower back or even just a bug that you caught which is making you feel yucky all over!

You dont sound disrespectful at all in your post, just really scared. Stay off the internet. It will bring up every most commonly searched disease as soon as you put your symptoms in. And this is really not healthy. Its also not usually correct. There is a reason doctors go to medical school for 9 years and the only way you are going to get some answers is if you visit one for a full checkup. I am willing to bet that you have nothing serious wrong with you, but you probably could use some help with whatever is actually happening. Please consider getting checked out.

I hope you feel better soon.

The following user gives a hug of support to MSNik:
sweetpotato13 (08-23-2017)
Reply Reply