It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) Message Board

• Primary Lateral Sclerosis

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-10-2004, 12:26 PM   #1
    CABLE720

CABLE720 HB User
    Talking Primary Lateral Sclerosis

Hello - I'm a newcomber to the board and wondered if anyone else has been diagnosised with PLS. What is PLS
    It is a degenerative upper motor neuron disease under the"MND Diseases umbrella", like ALS, it does have some lower motor neuron problem signals that can be detected on an EMG test, but it does not mean that it will change to ALS. If the findings show lower motor neuron involvement, it does not make a diagnosis of ALS, it is a combination of these and upper motor neuron findings.
    PLS strikes the voluntary muscles, and usually begins in the legs. Initial symptoms may include difficulty with balance, weakness and stiffness in the legs, muscle spasms, and dragging the toes while walking. Occasionally PLS may begin in the tongue or hands. In the tongue, the initial symptom is slurring of words. In the hands symptoms include weakness and stiffness in the fingers, general clumsiness, and fatigue doing repetitive tasks with the fingers.
    PLS is life-style threatening, not life threatening. It is not fatal.
    The symptoms of PLS can have many causes other then PLS, including multiple sclerosis, amoytrophic lateral sclerosis, brain and spinal cord tumors, spinal injury, vitamin B12 deficiency (usually a problem of absorption, not diet), and virus caused diseases.
    The diagnosis of PLS is a diagnosis of exclusion. This means that there is no test to determine whether you have PLS. Instead every other possible cause of the symptoms must be ruled out, leaving the diagnosis of PLS. For this reason it is impossible to self-diagnosis PLS. Instead, patients experiencing any of the symptoms common to PLS must see a neurologist. Proper diagnosis requires a battery of tests to rule out other conditions that could cause the same symptoms.
    PLS is extremely rare, so rare that the medical literature contains no estimate of how many PLS patients there are, or how frequently it occurs.
    The important things to remember are:
    Upper motor neurons carry information from the brain (via the cortispinal tract) to the spinal cord where

I have had this disease for over 4 years and has been getting worse. I now walk with the aid of 2 canes and have no balance at all. I'm a 46 year old female who was very active in my younger years. I was an avid swimmer in school, rode bike 10 miles each day, water and snow skied until I got this disease. I do however, have a very positive attitude and have accepted the things I cannot change. Would like to hear from you.

The following user gives a hug of support to CABLE720:
    ssimme1 (10-02-2011)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread