It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) Message Board

• could this be als

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-01-2005, 03:58 PM   #1
    teacher in NoVA
    (female)

teacher in NoVA HB User
    could this be als

I am 46 and started twitching randomly all over my body last March. I had just gotten over an upper-respiratory infection a week or so before the twitching started. I went to my doctor who referred me to a neurologist. She did an exam and said she felt my twitching was due to a virus that had settled near my spine. I wanted an EMG anyway and it was normal. Now it is October, my twitching is worse and I now have muscle cramps in my legs. They also feel "tight" and fatigued if I walk uphill. Sometimes they feel like they are vibrating at night. I have another appointment with a doctor in a month. THat is the earliest they could see me and my doctor really wants me to see this particular doctor. The first neurologist said with my history and EMG results it could not even be early early ALS. However, that was before my muscles started cramping. I am terrified, cry every night, and don't sleep now. I have a 4 year old daughter and I am a wreck. Am I just borrowing trouble. Could it be ALS??? THanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2005, 07:29 PM   #2
    ticker
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User
    Re: could this be als

Hi teacher in NoVa. Do you have other symptoms such as fatigue, concentration problems, heart palpitations, or headaches?

Please try not to worry. You are doing everything you can to find out what is wrong. Hang in there okay?

Old 10-02-2005, 06:35 AM   #3
    teacher in NoVA
    (female)

teacher in NoVA HB User

I do have fatigue. Everyone around me says that is because school just started again but it has never effected me this way during other school years. Funny you should mention heart palpatations. I used to have PAT's years ago and took lanoxin for about 13 years but have not needed it or taken it for 5 years. Now my PAT's are back and the doctor is putting a holter monitor on me on Monday for 24 hours to see what he can find. I started taking a multi-vitamin and magnesium supplement this week to see if it would make a difference. So far, it hasn't changed a thing. The twitching is relentless. I also have a spot on the inside of my ankle that is dented in about as wide as my thumb and about 2 inches in length that does not match my other leg. I noticed it while putting on socks a few days ago and I never ever saw it look like that before. Could that be atrophy? It looks very strange, like someone carved a shallow chunk out of my leg. My husband says the ankle thing is nothing, that no one is perfectly symmetrical. He is convinced I have lyme disease. My doctor has ordered some bloodwork, also for Monday, but I am not sure what it is for exactly. I will ask at the lab. I keep trying to tell myself the the EMG was normal. But that was 6 months ago and if anything I am worse, certainly not better! Thank you for your response.

Old 10-02-2005, 09:34 AM   #4
    ticker
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Hi teacher in NoVA. I agree with your husband that you may have Lyme disease. I have Lyme, that is why I was asking you about other symptoms. Lyme disease is a multi-system bacterial infection caused from the bite of an infected tick. Do you ever get night sweats? I don't know if the ankle problem is related.

No Lyme test is completely reliable and results can vary by lab. When Lyme is a possibility, it is very important to see a Lyme knowledgable doctor. Many doctors do not understand Lyme and treat with outdated protocols. Lyme disease is the second fastest growing infectioun disease in the US after AIDS, yet it is rarely considered as a possible diagnosis. Besides Lyme, ticks can transmit several co-infections including Babesiosis, Ehrlichiosis (HME & HGE), Bartonella, and Mycoplasma. Many people who have Lyme are co-infected. It is important to be tested by a Lyme reputable lab such as IgeneX in Palo Alto, CA.

Below is a symptom list for Lyme disease. It affects people individually and you can have any combination of symptoms.

Lyme Disease Symptom List

Unexplained fevers, sweats, chills, or flushing
    Unexplained weight change--loss or gain
    Fatigue, tiredness, poor stamina
    Unexplained hair loss
    Swollen glands
    Sore throat
    Testicular pain/pelvic pain
    Unexplained menstrual irregularity
    Unexplained milk production: breast pain
    Irritable bladder or bladder dysfunction
    Sexual dysfunction or loss of libido
    Upset stomach
    Change in bowel function-constipation, diarrhea
    Chest pain or rib soreness
    Shortness of breath, cough
    Heart palpitations, pulse skips, heart block
    Any history of a heart murmur or valve prolapse?
    Joint pain or swelling
    Stiffness of the joints, neck, or back
    Muscle pain or cramps
    Twitching of the face or other muscles
    Headache
    Neck creeks and cracks, neck stiffness, neck pain
    Tingling, numbness, burning or stabbing sensations, shooting pains
    Facial paralysis (Bell's Palsy)
    Eyes/Vision: double, blurry, increased floaters, light sensitivity
    Ears/Hearing: buzzing, ringing, ear pain, sound sensitivity
    lncreased motion sickness, vertigo, poor balance
    Lightheadedness, wooziness
    Tremor
    Confusion, difficulty in thinking
    Difficulty with concentration, reading
    Forgetfulness, poor short term memory
    Disorientation: getting lost, going to wrong places
    Difficulty with speech or writing
    Mood swings, irritability, depression
    Disturbed sleep-too much, too little, early awakening
    Exaggerated symptoms or worse hangover from alcohol

I really think you should be evaulated by a Lyme doctor. There is one in DC who comes highly recommended. His name is Dr. Kenneth Singleton. I hope you can get an appointment. For more information on Lyme, see the Lyme disease board at this site.

Hang in there okay? You will get some answers.

Last edited by ticker; 10-02-2005 at 09:35 AM.

Closed Thread