It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) Message Board

• Very Scared about ALS

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-12-2006, 05:13 AM   #1
    arrigoar
    (male)

arrigoar HB User
    Very Scared about ALS

Hello all. I am a 25 year old male. This is my second time going through an ALS scare. Last Thursday, my stomach muscles started to twitch, and then over the weekend, I began to have a feeling on the right side of my body that felt as if I was having trouble walking and using my right hand. Since this weekend, I now am twitching in my left leg, right leg, stomach and right arm. I have tried all of the strength tests that I underwent at my last neuro appointment almost 2 years ago. I can do everyone of them. I am thinking about going to the doctor again today, but he knows that I was paranoid last time this happened. I am looking for reassurance that I don't have ALS!!!

Please help!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2006, 08:57 PM   #2
    Dan's Mom
    (female)

Dan's Mom HB User
    Re: Very Scared about ALS

hi,

Truthfully, it doesn't sound like ALS. Also, it is very unlikely, though not impossible, that you have it at your age. how long have these spasms been going on? Did you have this happen before?

Old 09-13-2006, 05:23 AM   #3
    arrigoar
    (male)

arrigoar HB User

Dan's Mom...I went through this scare about two years ago. I had a neuro exam with Nerve Conduction Study and EMG. All came back clean. I am getting married on Saturday and I cannot function right now because of fear. I don't want to have ALS! This is ruining my life. I am going to see my Physician today. Hopefully he will perform a full neuro exam and ease my fears. If I can pass a neuro exam, can I forget about ALS?

Someone please provide feedback. I am loosing my mind!

Old 09-13-2006, 05:38 AM   #4
    Dan's Mom
    (female)

Dan's Mom HB User

Hi,

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding! If you pass the neuro exam, forget about A.L.S. If you had aLS for 2 years, you would have seen some drastic changes in your health. it sounds like the anxiety you are experincing is problematic. Did someone in your family have something that was ALS related? Sometimes that cn cause anxiety. I hope you are able to relax and enjoy your wedding day!

Old 09-13-2006, 05:46 AM   #5
    arrigoar
    (male)

arrigoar HB User

No one in my family had an ALS scare or ever had ALS. I am worried that if my neuro exam is clean, I won't believe my doctor that I don't have ALS. I probably won't have time to get an EMG/NCV test before the wedding. I have been trying all of the strength tests, like...balance on one leg, foot strength, balance, etc. I am able to do all. When I walk it feels as if the floor is moving or that my body is forcing me to take bigger steps than usual.

I am not experiencing foot drop, or dropping things. My right arm feels week, but I can do everything. I can even flip a pen up in the air and catch it. My muscle twitching is in my right arm, right leg and stomach.

Do I need to worry about ALS at all?

Old 09-13-2006, 07:13 AM   #6
    HossD5
    (male)

HossD5 HB User

I am with you I had the same problem 2 years ago and was 26 at the time. I went tot two different neuros, had all the tests done, clean. Don't let it get it to you it's all anxiety. I have the whole weak right side feeling still. However I take a kolonopin when necessary, and the feeling seems to decrease. You have got to be logical about it, 2 years and still no problems. You had at least had some gradual changes. Go see a neuro to ease your mind, though.

Old 09-13-2006, 07:30 AM   #7
    arrigoar
    (male)

arrigoar HB User

I don't think I have had ALS for two years. I am afraid that it is just starting now. I have been obsessing for three days now. I think my right bicep is smaller than my left now. I can still do pushups and everything though!

Help!!!!!

Old 09-13-2006, 08:03 AM   #8
    HossD5
    (male)

HossD5 HB User

I know but the key is that it feels weak it is not actually weak. I did all the same things you are doing now so at least you know there is someone out there who had all the same symptoms. My neurologist released me after a year once I had calmed down quite a bit. I felt like my leg, arm, hand, shoulder, and jaw, all were weaker on the right side. Go see a neuro quickly that way you won't let this fester and do like I did and still be dealing with it mildly. I waited and it gives your mind more time to convince itself. It is possible to get it at that age but it is also possible to win the lottery, right. You have to like those odds.

Old 09-13-2006, 08:40 AM   #9
    arrigoar
    (male)

arrigoar HB User

I am getting married Saturday and need to get this out of my mind. If my neurological exam, performed by my physician is clean today...can I forget about ALS?

Old 09-13-2006, 08:56 AM   #10
    HossD5
    (male)

HossD5 HB User

I would say yes. If they suspect anything at all they will refer you just to be safe. My GP said no way but sent me to a neuro just for my own sanity.

Old 09-13-2006, 08:56 AM   #11
    HossD5
    (male)

HossD5 HB User

I would say yes. If they suspect anything at all they will refer you just to be safe. My GP said no way but sent me to a neuro just for my own sanity.

Old 09-14-2006, 07:34 AM   #12
    arrigoar
    (male)

arrigoar HB User

Hey All,

I went to my GP doctor yesterday and he performed a neuro exam. He tested the reflexes in my knees, and behind my ankles. Both were fine. He had me grip his hands and pull away and push. Both fine. He observed my walk down the hallway, although it felt a little weird (my walk), he said it was perfect. He tested the strength in my ankles by having me push away and pull towards my body. Both were fine.

I told him my fear about ALS or another serious disease. He said that my muscle strength was perfect from an objective point, and did not recommend any additional tests. He said I could go for an MRI and other tests, only if I truly needed those to ease my mind.

He prescribed me clonopazine for anxiety and I took a pill, and for the most part, most of my twitching has subsided.

Based on the finding from my physician who suspects nothing is wrong, can I put the ALS fear behind me?

Thanks

Old 09-14-2006, 08:30 AM   #13
    HossD5
    (male)

HossD5 HB User

Glad to hear the news. Don't worry I still feel like a slight problem in my gait but it is just b/c I make it that way. That mind can play some tricks. Kolonopin works good for me I take it about once every 4 days seems to keep me level. Save yourself a lot of time and money and just work on controlling your anxiety, and believe your GP. From someone who knows.

Old 09-14-2006, 11:22 AM   #14
    arrigoar
    (male)

arrigoar HB User

Thanks Hoss,

I am still worrying a little bit about everything. Especially since my right hand feels weak. I can still type, but it seems like I am missing a key sometimes. What can you read into this?

If my GP thought there was a problem he would know...wouldn't he?

Old 09-28-2006, 10:11 AM   #15
    airey
    (female)

airey HB User

I think you should focus on your wedding and worry about that. It seems like the ALS is just a distraction from the real concerns you might be having.

Closed Thread