It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) Message Board

• Symptoms of ALS? Please HELP

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-04-2007, 10:58 AM   #1
    mac53
    (male)

mac53 HB User
    Talking Symptoms of ALS? Please HELP

Hi,
    I'm a 53/m married, two children. About 4 months ago I came down with a undetermined viral infection. I had canker soars in the back of my throat, extreme fatique, head aches, mild fever, loose stools, and a numbness and tingling started in my right foot and weakness in my left thumb. Noticed this most during the bouts of extreme fatique. This lasted about 2 months. The numbness in my right foot and tingling became worst and the numbness in thumb comes and goes. Now I have numbness at night in my hands and two fingers on my right hand. During the day I do not notice it in my hands, but in my right foot and thumb. Could these be symptoms of ALS? I also had severe cramps under chin yesterday and a headache. Please answer. I've had EBV come back positve, doctor even did a HIV negative and CBC normal. Thank you.

Last edited by mac53; 02-04-2007 at 02:42 PM. Reason: needed more info

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-05-2007, 12:21 PM   #2
    mironUK
    (male)

mironUK HB User
    Re: Symptoms of ALS? Please HELP

Hi,

I'd say it is highly unlikely to be ALS.

Numbness and tingling are a sign of a sensory nerves issues but ALS is a motor neurons disease.
    In fact if there is a suspicion that one has ALS but numbness and tingling are present it could rule ALS out.

I think you need to go to a neurologist to try to find out what your problem is.

Regards,
    Alex.

Old 02-05-2007, 03:20 PM   #3
    mac53
    (male)

mac53 HB User

Thanks Alex. I'm still having this pain under chin and tightness... effects my speech some. I hope your right.. about the numbness. It has easied up.. just this headache and tightness under chin.

Thank you

Old 02-07-2007, 02:01 PM   #4
    MSRF
    (female)

MSRF HB User

Maybe Multiple Sclerosis? My ex has it and he is only 28. He used to be able to play football and one day he went to throw the ball and his arms went limp. My brother in Law Died from ALS two years ago. It took forever to figure out what it is, the only thing is I dont think he had ALS. I would check for both, ALS and MS.

Old 02-07-2007, 04:24 PM   #5
    mac53
    (male)

mac53 HB User

Thank you, I'm feeling weakness in my arms now.. and still having tightness under chin. I don't know if this viral thing I had has affected me this was or it is ALS..

Old 02-25-2007, 12:07 PM   #6
    jeff001
    (male)

jeff001 HB User

Ask your neurologist about "Guillain Barre Syndrome". do a web search, find other doctors. My aunt had this this last year and her symptoms seemed a lot like yours.

you can also google "Guillain Barre Syndrome"

jeff

Closed Thread