It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) Message Board

• Worried about muscle twitching

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-16-2007, 03:18 PM   #1
    geena59
    (female)

geena59 HB User
    Question Worried about muscle twitching

Please pardon my panic...
    About the past month I've notice muscle twitching, primarily in my arm(s). When it didn't go away I ******d the symptom on the web and ALS came up and scared me too death.

I am active and don't see any signs of weakness. I went to my primary care doctor and mentioned it, but he was not at all concerned. His concern is cervical stenosis.

Just a little background...about 18 years ago I had a severe car accident that resulted in a broken neck. I had a posterior fusion C3-C6 and later also an anterior fusion. I have had hyper reflexes and clonus since then...allso tingling/not full sensation in left arm and soles of feet since then.

My primary made me an appointment with an orthopedic. I am more concerned that I need to see a neuro. I know that until then any diagnosis is on the table.

I guess I am just trying to get myself out of the total panic mode until I see that doctor and appropriate tests are done. I am 47. Is the muscle twitching often a serious sypmtom?

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2007, 04:04 PM   #2
    marky1956
    (male)

marky1956 HB User
    Re: Worried about muscle twitching

Geena -
    I'd say you're in good shape and not in any danger what-so-ever of having ALS. I went thru this same ALS scare about 2 years ago. I had months of violent muscle twitching in legs, calves, biceps, etc., and I too searched the internet for symptoms and found ALS!! Boy, what a 2-month nightmare I had.

ALS is a very, VERY rare disease, affecting maybe 4 persons out of 100,000, and those are usually >60 years of age. Secondly, from what I've read, the muscle twitching comes much later in the disease, and is NOT the more violent muscle twitching we see in out muscles, but very, very light fasculations under the skin. And if you're experiencing twitching in more than 1 place (legs, arms, etc), it's NOT ALS.

If you indeed had ALS, you would first have weakness in "1" limb, either a dragging foot or a weak hand, noticable by either constant tripping or dropping things. The fact that your younger and have not experienced localized weakness is a pretty good sign your "clean"!!

Again, I went theu the EXACT same scare you have severa years ago, when I had convinced myself I had ALS. THAT'S the bad thing about searching the internet for symptoms. I continued to have muscle twitching for about 14-18 months, then they went away and have never come back. Some people have BFS for years, and others for only weeks. Do a search on "BFS" (benign fasculation syndrome), and it will put your mind at ease. Good luck.

Last edited by marky1956; 06-18-2007 at 04:04 PM.

Old 06-27-2007, 11:53 AM   #3
    geena59
    (female)

geena59 HB User
    Re: Worried about muscle twitching

Thanks so much for the reassurance! I'm trying not to let myself worry/obsess over it. I will do the other search.

Closed Thread