HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Anemia (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/anemia/)
-   -   Do you experience a lack of understanding? (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/anemia/1001304-do-you-experience-lack-understanding.html)

Blanche13 04-13-2015 11:04 AM

Do you experience a lack of understanding?

"You look tired"
"Get more sleep"
"Eat some liver"

Have been said to me quite often lately. I can tell that my iron is low and that I could use some IV iron. I am somewhat patiently waiting for my appointment . However, the people around me don't seem to understand that I actually have a medical condition and am ill. I'm doing my best, but a steak and a nap isn't going to cut it.

I'm getting so frustrated. Anyone else ever feel like this?

Daehyma 04-13-2015 05:20 PM

Re: Do you experience a lack of understanding?

I am constantly reminding people that I do not absorb iron through my stomach. I get what is created from my infusions and I am using it up. But, people just cannot grasp it. I have no idea why, but they cannot. Sigh. I will do another set in June.

reds430 07-26-2015 07:48 PM

Late reply, but, yes, there is no understanding and my husband is the absolute worst!! I even took him to my appointment and he still doesn't care, nor does he tolerate my tiredness. He can't understand why I can't just "overcome" it and "it's mind over matter." He is very disapproving of my not carrying my weight with the housework. I have 2 busy kids I have to drive around, plus a full time job as a nurse in the OR. My doctor is telling me to cut hours or take a leave of absence.

Nola96 07-27-2015 06:33 AM

Omg yes! If one more person tells.me I need to start eating better, I'm gonna lose it....as it is, I have ppl asking me why I have so many bruises. :(

Rahsheeda80 08-22-2015 07:29 PM

OMG, it's the worst, especially from people I didn't think would use my illness against me. Why don't you do more? You just come home from work and go to bed? I don't know how much more I can take, or what I can do to make people understand. I have NO energy at all.

GrandmaHelen 08-30-2015 02:04 PM

I definitely understand what you're saying about people not understanding that Anemia isn't just an excuse to not do much. I just had a bleeding ulcer and hemoglobin of 6 that required two transfusions to get me to be able to stand up. I live with my son and his girlfriend and she keeps saying I need to not just sit and watch tv all day. I help out with my grandson, but I run out of energy all the time. My doctor just put me on iron twice a day which is tearing me up. They don't understand that's not going to inspire me to want to go walking or out to eat. At least I'm 66, you young folks with kids of your own I really feel for.