It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Iron Levels & Exhaustion

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-18-2015, 02:38 PM   #1
    GLV1992
    (female)

GLV1992 HB User
    Iron Levels & Exhaustion

Hello, my levels are listed below. Can you tell me where you started your journey and how long before you felt improvement.

[*]Iron 13 [*]Total Iron Binding Capacity (TIBC) 500 [*]Iron % Saturation 3[*]Hemoglobin 7.2

Currently working F/T however, could seriously take a nap about 2pm each day Did any of you have to reduce your schedule to P/T will you were rebuilding your health/strength.

I am a working mom/wife and the exhaustion is taking a toll. (Yes chomping ice, yes shortness of breath) .

Iron Deficiency Anemia - I am Perimenopausal with absorption issues.

Let me know your thoughts on IV Iron treatments - if they worked for you or not?

Also really hungry.

Thank you!
    G

Last edited by GLV1992; 05-18-2015 at 03:17 PM. Reason: add Hemoglobin

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2015, 01:43 PM   #2
    moonbeam88
    (female)

moonbeam88 HB User
    Re: Iron Levels & Exhaustion

I had a hemoglobin of 3.5 when I went to the doctor. I was given 5 units of blood and two units of Iron by IV. The reason for the severe anemia was stomach and esophageal inflammation/bleeding which I have apparently had for quite a while.

In answer to your question about iron given by IV......yes, it really helped me! They are small packets that take less than 15 minutes to administer.

Old 06-17-2015, 12:58 PM   #3
    mi3bs
    (female)

mi3bs HB User

Hi,
    I had a hemoglobin of 8.0* TIBC 397* %SAT 23.5 in October of 2015 when I was diagnosed with IDA due to heavy menses.
    May 2015 was my last round of blood work
    Hemoglobin 12.9
    TIBC-350
    %SAT-33.4
    Ferritin 12.7
    I had no iron stores at all in Oct. All of my symptoms except for shortness of breath have completely gone away. It is getting better but not completely gone. I do get fatigued, but usually after work outs. I have started to try walking and some strength training but recovery is still a problem si I have had to scale back.

Old 06-18-2015, 03:12 PM   #4
    moonbeam88
    (female)

moonbeam88 HB User

Hello!

I was growing weaker, paler, dizzy, and short of breath for three months (February through April). Finally, I could no longer be stubborn and went to a Heart Institute thinking I had congestive heart failure. They discovered my heart/arteries/lungs were great......but my hemoglobin was 3.4.

After 5 units of blood, I was transferred to another hospital where I had a colonoscopy and upper GI. There it was discovered that I had an ulcer and that was the culprit of my low hemoglobin.

I was given two IV iron treatments.....and after the 5 units of blood and the iron, I felt wonderful. I was given a prescription for Prilosec (the generic) and iron tablets which I take twice daily for three months.

After four days, I returned home and three weeks later had my local G.P. do a CBC. My hemoglobin was 13. Normal! I continue to take the meds and I am great.

Closed Thread