It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Iron Deficiency Anemia and feeling AWFUL and scared!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-12-2015, 09:34 PM   #1
    PaleHoupt
    (female)

PaleHoupt HB User
    Iron Deficiency Anemia and feeling AWFUL and scared!

Had my labs done on 6/03. Have been feeling poorly for over 6 months! Lab results crappy: hgb of 6.3 and hct 23.6 and iron <10. Today (6/12) is 9th day of iron supplementation...Dr. has me taking 3 of the 325 mg iron each day. (Each contains 150 elemental iron). Symptoms as follows: very very pale...no color in my lips. Dizzy when getting up off chair and when standing for a while. Mouth, tongue and just in esophagus very sore with continuous burning and painful swallow. Terrible itching all over. I noticed also I am winded/short of breath after going up one normal flight of stairs
    My hands and feet have been feeling tight this week...
    and I do have some mild edema in my ankles
    My b12 was normal along with my electrolytes and lft's. I feeling worried this evening. Do I need to call my doctor or just wait a few more days? Forgot to mention also that I am having headaches which improve after I lie down
    I am fairly shaky after being up for a bit. Just concerned and wondering how soon I can expect to feel better! Thank you to anyone who reads this----->appreciate ANY bits of knowledge or advise that anyone can offer.
    Pleasant wishes to all!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2015, 04:51 AM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: Iron Deficiency Anemia and feeling AWFUL and scared!

Hello there. Iron deficiencies can take months to stabilize. Your doctor is doing the right thing- a slow increase in iron spread out throughout the day. He will probably repeat blood work in 6-8 weeks and it will have gone up, but probably not all the way.
    Keep doing what the doctor has you doing, you will start feeling better at some point! At least you know what is wrong now and are you are working on improving it. It will happen!

Old 06-13-2015, 10:10 AM   #3
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

You have a serious level of anemia, and the cause of it needs determined. Did your Dr. or do you have any idea why you are so anemic? There can be many reasons, such as poor dietary intake of iron, poor absorption from things like celiac disease, heavy blood loss from menstruation or stomach ulcers, etc. You have some symptoms not typical with anemia, like the itching all over and burning mouth, esophagus. I would suggest you see a hematologist for a thorough investigation of why you are so anemic, and not just try to treat it. If you have celiac disease, for example, the oral iron will not be absorbed properly and will not help you. I hope you can get in to see a hematologist or at least get a good work-up by your internist for the cause of this problem.

Old 06-13-2015, 04:47 PM   #4
    PaleHoupt
    (female)

PaleHoupt HB User

Thank you so much for these replies! I am to be seeing GYN soon and also ENT if mouth/tongue/esophagus don't soon improve... I am keeping my fingers crossed as I did have less itchiness and was able to sleep better last night. Can be pretty miserable with muscle aches...unrelenting RLS and itching! I had GI workup a year or so ago and all ok. (Dr. is pretty certain it is GYN related. Just hoping symptoms improve soon! ) Appreciate comments and like checking out topics on these boards!
    Happy Weekend Everyone!!!

Old 06-14-2015, 12:26 PM   #5
    flo123
    (female)

flo123 HB User

Hi i would just like to say i have low iron and am waiting for an iron infusion but one of the main reasons i went to the Gp was because of server vile all over itching,nothing i tried helped and i was not sleeping so i am hoping it will get better in time.also hoping to get some energy i have almost zero enrgy.Anyone had a iron in fusion and how did it go?

Old 06-16-2015, 07:16 PM   #6
    ang2
    (female)

ang2 HB User

Hello....my experience...
    I am female, senior.
    5 yrs. ago I had routine blood work & my Dr. called & told me to get right to the hospital because my iron levels were very low.
    I was admitted & had 4 blood infusions.
    Had an endoscopy & showed bleeding ulcers.
    A colonoscopy could not be done due to a curved sigmoid.
    I was discharged after a week of testing & released with daily iron , 325 & omeprazole 40 mg.
    I have been fine since but recently experienced severe tiredness, shortness of breath, RLS, itching , loss of hair, feeling exhausted & lack of interest in doing anything.
    I was placed on iron, 325 for 2 months & bloodwork was just done.
    Dr. was pleased that my iron has improved considerably & my symptoms are much improved.
    I need to stay on iron & now zantac for the next 3 months before next appoint.
    Hope you start to feel much better !:

Old 06-17-2015, 07:26 AM   #7
    mi3bs
    (female)

mi3bs HB User

Hi,
    It takes a while to.correct anemia. I was in your exact state. I think it took about 2 weeks for me to see and feel a difference. I kept a daily symptom log and that helped me visualize that I was indeed getting better. Then one day there were no noticeable symptoms to note. I was diagnosed in Oct of 2014 and as of May my cbc and iron panels were normal. I have low ferritin but it is rising. I am on same amount of iron as you along with vit. C. It will get better. Hugs.

Oct. 2015- 8.0 hgb
    May 2015- 12.9 with ferritin 12.7

Last edited by mi3bs; 06-17-2015 at 12:26 PM. Reason: more info added

Old 07-03-2015, 09:58 AM   #8
    geekymom
    (female)

geekymom HB User

What was your B12 level? If it is between 200 - 400 pg/mL then you are in the gray area and should be getting treatment as neurological damage can occur in that range. If it is higher than that I'd keep an eye on it as your symptoms sure sound like they could be a B12 deficiency.

If you are taking drugs like PPIs, H2 blockers, or metformin then these can cause a B12 deficiency. The stomach meds (1st two above) should not be taken for more than a couple of weeks, as they reduce stomach acid and you need it to digest B12 from your food.

Closed Thread