It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Low Ferritin, Hemoglobin and Hematocrit - Help please

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-07-2015, 08:38 AM   #1
    BucsGirl4Life
    (female)

BucsGirl4Life HB User
    Low Ferritin, Hemoglobin and Hematocrit - Help please

Hi all,

In May, I was admitted to the hospital for two days with what is believed to be pancreatitis. My white blood count was through through the roof. I underwent an echocardiogram, MRI, CT, and an ERCP where the gastro widened my bile ducts.

A week later, I was very sick and ended up having internal bleeding which led to an endoscopy and colonoscopy, which only revealed one precancerous polyp.

My last blood results taken 6 weeks after all of this started has now revealed a Hemoglobin of 11.4 (5/19 it was 13.9; 6/5 it was 10.5); a Hematocrit of 34.4 (5/19 42.5; 6/4 31.4) and a Ferritin of 3 (doesn't look like it was tested before). I also have high absolute eosinophils of 651 (actually down from 6869 on 5/19, but up from 6/4 of 552).

I don't see my doctor for three more weeks and I'm miserable. I used to run 15 to 20 miles a week and I'm only walking now, the fatigue is debilitating. Any insight on what could be going on, or what any possible treatment could be? Before we got the latest labs, my doctor suggested taking over the counter Iron supplements, but with the ferritin being so low, I read that taking the supplements might not be a good idea until a cause is determined.

Thanks again, for any insight

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread