It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Does taking iron get any easier?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-24-2015, 10:44 AM   #1
    chloeaustralia
    (female)

chloeaustralia HB User
    Does taking iron get any easier?

my bloods came back after 6 wks on 1 iron tablet a day and the numbers went down... I was told to up them to 3 tablets a day and I just couldn't tolerate them, diarreah, terrible stomach cramps and nausea, so I stopped completely.. They also gave me insomnia and even after 3 days of stopping I can't sleep and feel sick.. Looks like I'll probably end up with an infusion but in case they turn me down... Does your body get used to that much iron, do the symptoms subside ?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2015, 10:48 AM   #2
    reds430
    (female)

reds430 HB User
    Re: Does taking iron get any easier?

I don't know if it is helping me, but I had the same side affects you are experiencing. I am using Spatone now, I got it on ******. I have no idea if it is helping, but I don't have the nasty side affects. I don't really feel different, but I've only been taking it for 3 weeks. Check with your doc first.

Old 08-24-2015, 12:32 PM   #3
    SHERBEAR61
    (female)

SHERBEAR61 HB User

I've been going to Dr. to Dr. regarding the severe anemia that I have. A couple months ago my total iron was down to 19 and now it jumped up to 32. But that's still very much out of the normal range. It should be between 45 and 160. Has anyone had an iron infusion? I'm taking iron right now and it doesn't seem like it's doing a thing. If anyone has any suggestions or any input I'd really appreciate it. I have an appointment with my hematologist to go over my options on September 2nd. I seriously hope she does something for me. But anemia is literally causing such a change in my every day life joys

Last edited by SHERBEAR61; 08-24-2015 at 12:35 PM.

Old 08-25-2015, 08:16 AM   #4
    MookieKats
    (female)

MookieKats HB User

I was also taking oral iron and I had to take at least 3 daily to get my levels to increase at all. I had the same side effects from the oral iron that you have described and they didn't get any better over time, in fact the side effects got worse and my body stopped responding to the oral iron. My Dr finally recommended iron infusions. The iron infusions didn't have any side effects and have helped my levels to rise quickly. In general I feel better after the infusions but it doesn't last too long for me...about 4-6 weeks of feeling normal and then anemia symptoms return. My levels don't drop back down to being out of range for about 5-6 months, at which point i get another round of infusions. I will be on the 4th round later this year. I don't have any other health issues and have been tested for all the normal causes of anemia and they haven't found anything. Hopefully the iron infusions will work better for you and you won't need them as often as I do.

Closed Thread