It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Newbie -- any insight appreciated

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-15-2016, 09:37 AM   #1
    hillview
    (female)

hillview HB User
    Newbie -- any insight appreciated

Hi all
    I am new to this. I've been very tired and just got my blood work back. I am waiting for my doc to call but wondering if anyone has any insight into these results. TIA!
    I put a * for the ones that are low based on the range the report gave me.

Ferritin: 6*

Iron: 25*
    TIBC: 367

HCT: 33.2*
    HGB: 10.1*
    MCH: 23.0*
    MCV: 75.6*
    PLT: 155
    RBC: 4.39
    RDW: 16.2 (high)
    WBC: 5.75
    for platelets it says "Giant platelet forms present Large Platelets Reviewed"

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2016, 05:28 PM   #2
    Summergirl1977
    (female)

Summergirl1977 HB User
    Re: Newbie -- any insight appreciated

I don't know about the lab results, I know that is low ferritin and that's all you need to have symptoms. What are you experiencing? You're not alone. Is your doc treating you with iron?

Old 04-03-2016, 06:06 PM   #3
    hillview
    (female)

hillview HB User

Thanks for the reply! Yes I am going to get 4 infusions. Hope soon!

I am very very tired.

Old 04-16-2016, 11:38 AM   #4
    ash101881
    (female)

ash101881 HB User

Have you started yours yet? How long does it take to feel better? I just did a 6 hour infusion of Infed iron dextrose bc my insurance didn't approve Venofer. I also have Primary Immune Deficiency so I was born without an immune system and have to get IgG infusions at home daily. Everyone says how the steroid they give before gives them a boost but it does the opposite with me bc I slept the whole infusion and probably will next week too lol

Old 05-07-2016, 06:28 AM   #5
    Rindy1966
    (female)

Rindy1966 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillview View Post
    Hi all
    I am new to this. I've been very tired and just got my blood work back. I am waiting for my doc to call but wondering if anyone has any insight into these results. TIA!
    I put a * for the ones that are low based on the range the report gave me.

Ferritin: 6*

Iron: 25*
    TIBC: 367

HCT: 33.2*
    HGB: 10.1*
    MCH: 23.0*
    MCV: 75.6*
    PLT: 155
    RBC: 4.39
    RDW: 16.2 (high)
    WBC: 5.75
    for platelets it says "Giant platelet forms present Large Platelets Reviewed"
    Hello I've been dealing with anemia for years without doctors paying much attention to it or to the fact that my periods were always heavier than most.
    Until about 6 months ago that is. I find out my iron is a 7. Which the range is supposed to be between 11.5 and 13. We had upper and lower GI to rule out internal bleeding which I knew they would find none.
    Then in January my period started and went for 6 weeks. I was feeling week and out of breath. I'm an active person so thought I wasn't doing something right.
    Finally broke down and saw gyno who chewed me out and did blood work. My iron was 6.5. I make appointment to see hemotologist and start getting infusions. But after first unsuccessful one and going to ER twice and a hospital stay to rule out cardiac issues changed way of eating. Lots of research went into that.
    Well after 6 infusions and vitamin b shots and diet changes my iron is a 11.5 but ferritin came back down due to period. It was over 300 a month ago. Now its at 176. So going to see hump to see about an ablation as I'm on hormone to try and regulate period but just regulating it is not going to be enough.

Last edited by Rindy1966; 05-07-2016 at 06:31 AM. Reason: Broke up the reply i was replying too.

Old 05-07-2016, 11:40 AM   #6
    barbw
    (female)

barbw HB User
    Smile Re: Newbie -- any insight appreciated

Hi!
    Randy, your story is my story, almost exactly. I finally collapsed last month, ended up hospitalized, with 3 blood transfusions. Now, I have had 6 iron infusions in the last 3 weeks, to ramp me up for a hysterectomy this Wednesday. I will be so glad to be done with the excessive periods! I also have malabsorbtion issues, so I will still need infusions, but hopefully not as many. Good luck to you!
    Barb

Closed Thread