It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Iron Deficiancy Anemia

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 08-08-2016, 01:35 PM   #1
    Jenni21452
    (female)

Jenni21452 HB User
    Iron Deficiancy Anemia

Hello all.

I guess I should start at the beginning of my journey which started in July 2015. I had a panic attack which scared me to death so I went to the doctor to make sure everything was ok with my heart and such (family history of heart problems) and the doctor came back to the exam room after testing and told me he was admitting me to the hospital, he was calling an ambulance to take me from his office to the hospital...I asked what the problem was and he asked if I had been tired lately. I laughed because first of all it was summer in Alabama and I have an hour commute to and from work and had to be there by 6AM everyday. I said of course I had and he said no not the normal tired but really tired. I again laughed and said I didn't know the difference, all I knew was that I wanted to sleep all of the time. He told me my HGB was 3 and should be between 11-14....he went on to say he didn't know how I was able to be up walking around much less functioning. I refused the ambulance and said if I needed to go to the hospital for some tests then I would drive my car...after some arguing he finally agreed. I called my husband on my way over there and told him I was going to the hospital for some tests (I still didn't think I would be there overnight). When I got to the hospital and went where I was told they immediately put me in bed and started an IV...at this point I got a little nervous and decided to call my parents. Well they were there before my husband (go figure). At this point I was told I was going to have to get fluids and a blood transfusion....this was after they took several vials....I asked why they were taking it if it was low (I tend to handle fear with a sarcastic sense of humor). The nurse said they were type matching me and then proceeded to tell my parents they needed to get tested to see if there were a match. In the meantime I've got 2 IV's and I'm waiting for my pint of blood...well I waited and waited and waited and finally the nurse came and told me that my blood type was O+ but that I had several extremely rare antibodies and so they were having a rather difficult time finding some blood that I wouldn't reject...at this point I was officially terrified and thought I was dying! I called my brother (a licensed paramedic) and explained the situation and he said he'd be right there...even more scared at this point because I knew it must be bad if he was coming all the way to the hospital. Finally a DOCTOR came in the room and asked me all sorts of questions....which I had nothing but normal answers for...basically I was informed that over HALF of my blood supply was missing so I was going to have to have 4 possibly 5 units of blood and they were having to have some flown up from FL because none in the state banks would match mine. I was so scared at this point that I finally started crying. After arriving at the hospital at 5PM, I finally started receiving my first bag of blood at midnight. I don't know about you all but that was the most painful thing I have ever experienced. It felt like someone was trying to rip my arm off!! After receiving all the units of blood the doctor came in and said they could only see that my iron levels were extremely low and they were going to prescribe iron supplements, after I explained that I had severe GERD and IBS they agreed that I was not a good candidate for the iron supplements so they told me to start eating an iron rich diet. They said they were going to schedule me an appointment with a hematologist to try to determine the cause of the issues. Eight weeks later I had an appointment with the hematologist who said that my iron stores were ZERO and I needed an immediate iron infusion which they scheduled for the next day. I proceeded to read up on it that night and scared myself senseless!! Got there the next day and he had decided to prescribe me 5 small doses vs. the 1 large...I handled the infusions like a champ except that they gave me the most horrific headache ever. Nothing would help the headaches....but that's an entirely different story. He also scheduled a consult with a gastrologist....I went to that appointment and after talking and such he did the physical exam and he bluntly told me he felt a knot in my intestinal area and was almost sure that I had colon cancer and he wanted to do a colonoscopy and EGD later that week. I walked out of there convinced I was going to have cancer and was terrified. At this point I decided not to tell my parents, hubby, brother or anyone anything until I was sure one way or the other....I didn't want to worry anyone. So I did the prep for the colonoscopy and that was pretty horrific but I made it through. Went and had the colonoscopy and EGD and there were no polyps or anything but he did take some biopsies of my stomach and also my large intestine. He scheduled a test for me to swallow a capsule camera...did that and everything came back normal. So after being scared to death I was told that everything appeared normal and they still had no idea where I was losing blood at. I continued my iron treatments and went back 3 months later and was told that they had not worked so he prescribed the 1 time big dose. I took it and waited for 3 more months. I go back and finally my Iron levels have moved to the very low side of normal so he prescribed 1 last treatment. In the meantime my HGB never got over 9 and had lowered back to 7. After the final treatment I went back 6 weeks later and my HGB had gone back to 8 and my iron levels were normal (still on the low side of normal). He scheduled me to come back in November of this year. Still have no idea where the blood was lost at or why my iron levels were 0...I'm not a vegetarian and I eat lots of iron rich foods but apparently my body doesn't absorb iron like it should..again no reasons as to why. I was thoroughly frustrated but figured it was ok because at least I was better. However, I now know the signs of anemia and I can tell my blood is dropping again. I am so tired that I do absolutely nothing when I'm off work but sleep; I've become more irritable; my concentration is not what it should be (I attribute that to just being so tired); my period went from normal after the blood transfusion to getting lighter and lighter again; I've slowly started eating ice again (I had quit after the iron treatments) and my tongue has been sore the past few days. I also have a sinus infection that WILL NOT go away!! I went to my regular doctor and my HGB has dropped back to a 6! He sent the lab results to my hematologist and said if it was significant he would call me and I've heard nothing. So after all of this rambling my question is...what should I do? Is there anything I can do at home? What could be causing me to lose my blood? I'm frustrated because I'm tired of being tired! Thanks in advance for any advice or help you can give!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply