It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

Ferritin Now at 28 - Still Some Dizziness?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-17-2016, 09:33 AM   #1
ThyroidRose
(female)

ThyroidRose HB User
Ferritin Now at 28 - Still Some Dizziness?

Hi All,

My ferritin after a month of ferrous fumerate (containing 106 elemental mgs of iron, twice a day) and heavy kale/spinach ingestion, is up to 28 from a 6. 28 is considered normal by my lab.

However I am still suffering some days from dizziness. I wake up with it (it rarely just comes in in the middle of the day) and it's with me all day. Some days I feel ok.

For the pros who have been here before me: Is this normal? Will it go away after my ferritin continues to rise? Or should I now be pursuing other diagnoses than low iron?

Thanks so much,
Rose

Last edited by ThyroidRose; 12-17-2016 at 09:34 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-25-2016, 09:55 PM   #2
Raveon
(male)

Raveon HB User
Re: Ferritin Now at 28 - Still Some Dizziness?

You should request an iron infusion any time your iron ferritin goes below 100 if your your iron of ferritin levels are always dropping. The quickest way to replenish iron is eating chicken livers and oranges.

Old 01-18-2017, 02:58 PM   #3
ThyroidRose
(female)

ThyroidRose HB User

Here to update my thread in case anyone is searching Dr. Google.... like I am. My ferritin as of January 16, so 2.5 months into treatment, is up to 44. My restless legs/cramping at night have gone, as well as hair loss, that has stopped as well.

However the lightheadedness continues. It's daily, and it waxes and wanes, but it pretty much always with me. I have had it since mid-October, it is now January. I did speak to someone else about my symptoms and they suggested investigating a sinus infection. I saw my doctor today and she confirmed that I have fluid in my ears as well as inflammation in both nostrils. Both of these symptoms could be causing my dizziness / lightheadedness.

I am to start on Augmentin and Flonase and report back to her. I am VERY HOPEFUL that I do indeed have a sinus infection and that the lightheadedness will finally clear.

I will attempt keep this thread updated.

Last edited by ThyroidRose; 01-18-2017 at 03:01 PM.

Old 02-01-2017, 04:56 PM   #4
rico5000
(female)

rico5000 HB Userrico5000 HB User

Obviously I can only give you a thought and not what should be considered a professional opinion. But have you checked your blood pressure at home? I know from experience that low blood pressure (and it does not have to be dangerously low) can cause the feelings your describe. It might be worth checking it.

PVCs/MVP/Palps
Sinusitis
Panic/Anxiety
-- Toprol XL 50mg 2x daily
-- Valium 5mg 2x daily

Old 03-01-2017, 06:24 AM   #5
ThyroidRose
(female)

ThyroidRose HB User

I am back to post an update in case it helps anyone. I had a D&C plus Mirena insertion on 2/6 and thanks to the Mirena I have had only some spotting instead of a three week long period, which had become the norm for me. I am pleased to say that I am feeling stronger already, with less dizziness/wooziness. I expect that I should only continue to improve as the months drag on. I am scheduled to have my ferritin rechecked in 2 months and will update again then. So, I think the bottom line is that even if your ferritin is "normal," if you haven't solved the issue of bleeding, you will not truly get ahead.

Old 04-14-2017, 04:52 AM   #6
Daisy177
(female)

Daisy177 HB User

I had low iron and now it's come into the normal range, just wanted to ask whether low iron affects your stamina and walking because I feel really faint and unable to walk briskly, have to take really small steps

Many thanks

Old 04-14-2017, 02:56 PM   #7
tiredofissues
(female)

tiredofissues HB User

My ferritin is at a 15 and still have dizziness too. I hope you are able to get your number up soon and can feel better.

Old 08-21-2017, 09:32 AM   #8
ThyroidRose
(female)

ThyroidRose HB User

I'm back to post another update in case anyone else goes through what I went through and needs encouragement.

My ferritin is over 80 at this point and I have stopped the supplements.

I have also started Tirosint and have worked up to 37.5 mcgs for the thyroid issue (Hashimoto's hypothyroidism). Most of the dizziness and lightheadedness is gone!!!

The Mirena is working to control my monthly cycle and I have not had a cycle in 2 months.

Finally, I found that if I do not eat lean protein at around 10 am and again at 3 pm (for instance a chicken breast or some turkey meat) I get the same weird lightheadedness. So I'm left to wonder if I have hypoglycemia (but I do not have diabetes so this would be weird). However overall I am doing great and expect to get even better as the days progress.

Reply Reply